Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 09:29 PM   #1 
betta lover1507

Exclamation it came back :(

well as some of you know that i had a betta named"Katrina" survived from dropsy and died by jumping out of tank and my girl my brother gave me has dropsy thank goodness it isn't severe, i want to remove it before is worsens, is there anything i could do? i used table salt to heal katrina, now i have aquarium and table salt will it do? am worried about the new girl (named midnight) and i didn't feed live either she was just fed pellets and flakes, but when i got her she didn't really want to eat i wasn't worried since she was new to the environment but now i am i do not have photos of the female either
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

For pine coning and bloating, you'll want Epsom salt. Aq salt will make the bloating and fluid retaining worse.

I've always been recommended to slowly bring the dose of epsom salt from 1 tsp/gal to 3 tsp/gal with 100% daily changes coupled with both Maracyn 1 and Maracyn 2.

Maracyn is light sensitive, so it's best to keep things dark and warm for the medicine to have the best effect as well as to keep things calm.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #3 
betta lover1507

she passed this mourning but now i want to know how she got dropsy, i didn't feed them ANY worms for months and she was only fed pellets and flakes.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:30 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sorry for your loss.....

Dropsy is a symptom not a disease itself....several things can cause this symptom and it can range from minor to severe....

Stress from poor water quality is the most common cause that compromises the immune response and lead to bacterial infection.

Usually once you have severe pine cone of the scales, clamped fins, lethargic, stops eating...etc....they are usually going into system failure and it is usually fatal at this stage
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #5 
betta lover1507

thanks OFL but this is not old water and i put salt in the tank almost daily, thanks i'll keep an eye out
Old 01-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #6 
callistra

I highly suggest not using table salt. If you need nacl salt use aquarium salt, but this can make dropsy worse because dropsy is fluid build up under the skin making the scales raise. Since the kidneys are already having problems filtering this fluid, adding regular salts can make this work. The treatment for dropsy consists of epsom salts and the correct medication that treats the source of the disease.. usually some kind of antibiotic and/or anti parasite bath and feeding.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 PM   #7 
betta lover1507

ok... then how did katrina survive? she was only gave iodized table salt and in warm water, in the dark
Old 01-18-2012, 07:07 AM   #8 
callistra

possibly because you were -really really- lucky that the salt alone killed the infection before the bloat had time to kill. I have -never- heard of this working for dropsy but I guess depending on the disease that's actually causing it, it's theoretically possible.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote