Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #31 
BETTACHKALOVE

Yes just regular spider plant. I was trying to find thread about that on this forum. I know some people on this forum using spider plant for bettas also. It can be different foliage and color. Some have more yellow inside of the leaf some leaves just green without any color inside. I have the one which is really long and green and leaves are wider than other. It stays forever. Well i do a lot of water changes. I always do 50% and 100% a week so i always check make sure it not rotten. I clean them if i need to. My friend has different spider plant it get rotten faster...but still i love it. And some of them so long that it even sticks out of my 2.5 gall. All my bettas love them.

Yes just regular spider plants that people have in their homes :)

Last edited by BETTACHKALOVE; 01-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #32 
Laki

hmm, I will definitely look into getting one, growing it out and adding the extra bits to the tanks!! Spider plants are so pretty! I had one for a few years but the cats got at it. Combined with my brown thumb it just perished.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #33 
Brian10962001

The reason I ask about warm water is that most warm water is contaminated with copper from the water heater (it doesn't hurt us, but it is hard on shrimp). How big is your tank? I'm betting you had a few shrimp die and in a closed system with no filtration everything went nuts from the shrimp starting to decay. I have Ghost Shrimp in my 10 gallon NPT right now and they're trucking a long just fine. I have them in there with some browning anacharis and a few crypts, they love it. I've lost 2 since I started but they were fresh transplants and I pulled them as soon as I noticed them.
Brian10962001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:32 AM   #34 
Laki

omgoodness! Never considered that! Holy Epiphany! Thanks for the info! :D I think it will be some time now before I let myself get tank scavengers. And no more ghosties for sure!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #35 
Brian10962001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laki View Post
omgoodness! Never considered that! Holy Epiphany! Thanks for the info! :D I think it will be some time now before I let myself get tank scavengers. And no more ghosties for sure!
I know the feeling, I bought an Oto and a Chinese Algae eater because they only had one Oto at the time. The algae eater turned into a monster and was nipping my females! The Oto was doing good, leaving tracks all in the BBA when I just found him dead I haven't put scavengers back in the regular 10 gallon yet because of it. I put those ghosties in the NPT so it would have some occupants and they seem to be doing good in it, but I don't have the heart to dump a few of them in the 10 gal to see how they do. I put a pond snail in there and the alpha girl killed it before it ever hit the bottom!
Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #36 
BETTACHKALOVE

I didn't know about that. I am using warm almost hot water. Without that i have no idia how to change the water in the winter time. In the summer time they live in the room temperature and I don’t have heaters. In the winter time I do have heaters. And I am using aged water. My house during the day when we are at work about 68* so when i change my fish i mix that aged water which I let stay for 24 hrs with warmer water which i prepare 30 min before changing them. So maybe I can use just warm , not hot though? Is worm water would be also affected by copper?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #37 
Brian10962001

Normal *cold* tap water should have much lower levels of copper/metals in it than water that has been through the water heater. Warm will have less than hot as it's less of a concentration of water heater treated water. I would just run the tap on cold, fill up the buckets and let them age, they'll come up to temp pretty quickly. Also I don't even allow the water to warm up when I add it to my 10 or 20 gallon. It's dechlor in the bottom of the jug, run the tap on full cold, swirl it on the way to the tank, and dump it in. I noticed my bettas seem MORE active since I started doing this, I don't know if the temp swings more naturally mimic the weather cycles or if I was getting contamination in my hot water.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #38 
BETTACHKALOVE

lol no i am a freak when it come to do something new and different. I actually even have accident one time when i somehow put my betta after i change the water and he got lethargic for like 4 hrs and i think it because i shocked him with temperature difference. I will just use worm water instead of hot :)

Thank's