Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #1 
peaches3221

Red face tetra 5 gal starter kit reviews?

it's from walmart I'm planning on getting it for my new guy but I thought I'd get some people's opinions first. is it any good? how is the filter? did you have to baffle it?
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #2 
emeraldsky

I believe thats the one I have, I like it overall, though its cheaper to get the 10 gallon starter kit. The 10 gall is like, $29 and the 5 is $32 if I remember right?

The filter is quite strong, you will have to baffle it.

My friend has it as well but the filter burned out after about a month, never heard of it happening before with them though, could have been a fluke... or his crayfish kicking sand into it X3
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:43 PM   #3 
peaches3221

Well it's 27 in my walmart and 32 online... Wish I could get the 10 but I don't have the room :( if it's too strong baffling isn't a problem I saw the sticky :)
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #4 
ArcticRain

I have it and I love it! I too considered getting the 10g, but I already had a stand for a 5g tank so that's what I got!
I don't use the filter and I replaced the lightbulb for a fluorescent one.

If you do buy It at the store, open it BEFORE you buy it!!! I made the mistake of not opening it at walmart and when I came home it was shattered! Some stores won't let you retern it and won't believe that it was shattered before you opened it!
If you don't use the filter there is a HUGE opening in the lid that a betta could easily jump out of. What i did to cover the hole is, I took a napkin and folded it the a size big enough to fully cover the hole. Then I took some Masking tape and taped it into place. The masking tape works great as it doesn't leave a residue and come right off the glass/plastic!
The sealant work is a little sloppy, but I just put the bad side facing the wall.
All in all, I am Very pleased with this tank and the price is awesome!

Last edited by ArcticRain; 01-18-2012 at 10:43 AM.
ArcticRain is offline   Reply With Quote