Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-16-2012, 12:10 AM   #41 
Myrtaceae

That really stinks about your fry getting ich. I know it must be really discouraging. You're going to have so much experience under your belt that you can be prepared for anything in future spawns. :)
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #42 
GreenTea

Thanks Myrta and for the words of encouragement BL but right now I'm devastated. I don't know if I'm going to try this again. Things like this are so disheartening.. I dosed the tank with 1/4 dose of marcyn earlier, but it doesn't matter because the heater stopped working. It was brand new...

There are about 10 fry half-swimming in freezing water covered in ich. I'm going to cull them and break down the tank. I don't feel ok at all.
GreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM   #43 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
Thanks Myrta and for the words of encouragement BL but right now I'm devastated. I don't know if I'm going to try this again. Things like this are so disheartening.. I dosed the tank with 1/4 dose of marcyn earlier, but it doesn't matter because the heater stopped working. It was brand new...

There are about 10 fry half-swimming in freezing water covered in ich. I'm going to cull them and break down the tank. I don't feel ok at all.
Anytime. The heater STOPPED working?! I think that is when I would have lost it. I understand why you wouldn't want this to continue. Also culling the fry is a big decision and sometimes it does have to be made. I respect your choice and wish the best for the next spawn and the thriving fry you have after the culled.

You should return the heater and make a complaint. Also it will ive you the chance to thoroughly clean the tank.

Good Luck!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #44 
Myrtaceae

Dude. Not that you need my permission or anything, but if you wanted to say, turn the shower on full blast to hide the noise and then scream bloody murder I would not blame you AT ALL.

I'm going to make a slightly stupid analogy: Think of fish-keeping as a tank. When your tank is full, the filter runs smoothly and everything is quiet and peaceful. When (cough *stuff*) like this happens, it empties your tank and the filter sputters and the heater is in danger of shattering. You need to add more water to the tank, but how? I think we refill it by enjoying our fish and focusing on the stuff that we do right. How many fish have you kept successfully? How good does it feel to watch them spawn and sit by the tank with your fingers crossed?

The reason it hurts so much is because it brings so much joy in the beginning, you know? I know you have some gorgeous fish. Maybe spend some time enjoying them, and building up your mental reserves again. You'll know when you're ready.

Sorry if I've overstepped here. I really enjoy your threads and I hate to see you so disheartened.
Myrtaceae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 06:12 PM   #45 
GreenTea

You haven't at all. I appreciate honesty. That was really sweet. Thank you Myrta. I liked the analogy :) I'm more of a sit in silence feeling sad and take a nap kind of person when things get ridiculous.

I did return the heater today and got it refunded, they didn't seem to get how frustrating losing an entire spawn is though. Which I sort of expected.

And thanks BL, you're always super encouraging too, I'm glad we've become friends and keep up with one another.

Myrta, on "filling my tank" - something really amazing happened last night that I will post about later and might make a separate thread in the photos section as well! A total stranger did something fantastic for me.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:21 AM   #46 
bettalover2033

@GreenTea: Of coirse. I enjoy helping out and giving anything I can to be sure things run smooth because well what do I have to loose. Plus gaining the fact that the person knows that someone else cares enough, as I and Myrta do, is enough for me.

I agree with myrta as well on the tank analogy lol. It makes sense and is a pretty good one. Usuallu I dont really understand certail analogies but that was a perfect example.

Now. Please post the link so we can see what this fantastic stranger did. Its exciting even though it never happened to me nor do Iknow what it is lol.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 AM   #47 
GreenTea

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....70860&page=188

This is the great thing that happened to me. 3 new AMAZING marble pairs... for an insane price. Happened the same night I lost my spawn. I'm not superstitious or religious in the least bit, but it felt like a positive sign from the universe to me.

Also, its been two weeks since their last spawn, and moms fins had regrown, dad was vigorous as well, so I tried them tonight. They spawned in hours o_0 They are crazy about each other. I've decided not to give up.

I boiled everything in the tank, threw out old plants and totally scrubbed it and let it dry. If I have issues again, lord help me... I might toss the whole set up and start with a new tank.

Question: I want to change my focus from bettas as just pets, to totally breeding focused. Would it be appropriate to rehome some of my females who I know I won't be breeding or does that make me a jerk?
Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM   #48 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTea View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread....70860&page=188

This is the great thing that happened to me. 3 new AMAZING marble pairs... for an insane price. Happened the same night I lost my spawn. I'm not superstitious or religious in the least bit, but it felt like a positive sign from the universe to me.

Also, its been two weeks since their last spawn, and moms fins had regrown, dad was vigorous as well, so I tried them tonight. They spawned in hours o_0 They are crazy about each other. I've decided not to give up.

I boiled everything in the tank, threw out old plants and totally scrubbed it and let it dry. If I have issues again, lord help me... I might toss the whole set up and start with a new tank.

Question: I want to change my focus from bettas as just pets, to totally breeding focused. Would it be appropriate to rehome some of my females who I know I won't be breeding or does that make me a jerk?
We that really is amazing. I love your pairs. You see I told you. Maybe it was one of those out with with the old and in with the new. I'm glad it turned out so well for you. Its one of those thin that you really cannot explain. I for one am superstitious so I believe that this is what happened here.

To answer your question, I would actually SUGGEST rehoming because rehoming some females that you know for a fact you are not going to breed to downsize is going to make your job so much easier. Those females I'm sure if they could understand what life was they would understand because you are only wishing the best for them and want to give them the best. It will lessen the amount of mouths to feed (ATM). And will ease your conscience to know they are safe and being given the attention they deserves.

I know from experience of how things work when you have other fish that aren't on the breeding list. You tend to forget them a little and want better for them...at least I did anyway. I felt so sorry for my fish because I had 15-20 at the time and felt like I was neglecting half of them because of breeding. Thank god I have a little sister that cares for them as well because I Don think I could have done this without help. I DiD have to rehome a lot of them because it was a bit much for her and myself.

GreenTea you would be doing the right thing by rehoming if you wanted to. Unless you can care for each of them as you really want to plus having fry and a couple of other pairs on he way or there. I hope you decide the right chide. Either way I support you completely and will help out anyway I can.

I tried to make this decision before because it is so hard and since I was attatched to each of them, it was harder for me, but might be easier depending on the person. It would be bet for breeding and they would get all the proper things they need and other necessities that you really shouldn't have to provide when transitioning to fully breeding. It would be best for you and the fry both.

Good luck, choose wisely and go with your gut feeling! I support you GT.

I have to ask are the females of breeding quality or petstore fish?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #49 
GreenTea

They're all imported. I've already made the decision to sell my giant stock to someone who wants to breed giants (except for my biggest giant girl who has a damaged swim bladder and needs special care from me. She stays ;])

The all have good fins and color. One female has not so great fins but she's an orange dragon with thick white scales and good body. They're all really beautiful. I know there are like 4 in my sorority I won't be breeding, I was hoping maybe to give them to someone who is trying to start a sorority, as they already have been living together peacefully for awhile. Theres a yellow butterfly girl, a salamander girl, an orange copper girl, the giant girls too.

I'm also getting some new pairs hopefully tomorrow, it took Jennifer (my transhipper) awhile to get back to me, hopefully they will be shipped tomorrow, or if not, Monday. Thanks for the support BL! It's not that I'm not taking good care of them, it's just that I know I'm going to have my hands full and really want to be able to focus on breeding and streamline my fish.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #50 
Tisia

yeah, you're not allowed to give that giant girl to anyone, she's too cute, lol.
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote