Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 AM   #1 
Tappy4me

Opinions on a new tank

I am looking at possibly getting an Aqueon Evolve2 for my newest rescue betta, Tango. I was looking at them in the store the other day and they look really nice. It's a 2 gal aquarium. I'd just have to put a heater in it. (Which I have already) I'm wondering if the way the filter is designed on this tank if the current and suction won't be so hard on this guys fins, being that he is a VT (I think...haven't had him flare yet) It has a top and such, so I won't have to worry about him jumping out.

It costs about the same as I would spend anyways to set up another 2.5 gal like my other three guys have.

Any thoughts? Opinions? Any of you guys try out one of these? I like the no lines look of it.

Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #2 
Gen2387

I've seen this tank before and it looks very pretty. The only thing is there is no lid so you would have to make one. You could use plastic mesh so that the air circulates without problem and your betta can't jump out.

Edit: I just read that you said they had a top? I thought they didn't. Oh well. As for the current. If it's a little strong you can just baffle it.
Gen2387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 AM   #3 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen2387 View Post
I've seen this tank before and it looks very pretty. The only thing is there is no lid so you would have to make one. You could use plastic mesh so that the air circulates without problem and your betta can't jump out.

Edit: I just read that you said they had a top? I thought they didn't. Oh well. As for the current. If it's a little strong you can just baffle it.
It says it comes with two lids with ventilation, one for the front of the tank and one for the filter in the back. :) I specifically looked for that when I was looking at them lol.

Yea, that's what I was thinking about if it's too strong. I haven't bought it yet...debating about it lol.. The current filters I have in the other three tanks are just too much for a VT, not so much the current, but the suction. With the way the filter is made, I don't have anything I can put around it to prevent fin shreddage. Being that this guy has something going on with his swimming (not sure if it's due to finnage, he just looks a little awkward swimming) I want something that won't rip his fins.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #4 
Bombalurina

It's very smart. It looks a bit like the Fluval tanks.
On a note unrelated to your question, I do wish they wouldn't show such appalling stocking on their box fronts. It just encourages people to think you *can* keep 3 cherry barbs, 5 neons and a mystery snail in 2.5 gallons. :(
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #5 
HermitGuy101

I agree with everyone. the no lid bothers me.
HermitGuy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #6 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermitGuy101 View Post
I agree with everyone. the no lid bothers me.
It has a lid. 2 actually. One for the filter area and one for the front.

I went ahead and picked it up today. Setting it up tomorrow or the next day. Giving the fella some time to chill.

Yea, I do wish they didn't show that stocking on the front. :(
Old 01-16-2012, 12:39 AM   #7 
yayagirl1209

i was thinking about getting the 4g evolve because i saw it on sale at petco. but i'm a little worried about the ability to baffle the filter. i don't want my double tail to struggle...he's pretty heavily finned. if you decide to invest in it, keep us updated.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #8 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayagirl1209 View Post
i was thinking about getting the 4g evolve because i saw it on sale at petco. but i'm a little worried about the ability to baffle the filter. i don't want my double tail to struggle...he's pretty heavily finned. if you decide to invest in it, keep us updated.
I did go ahead and invest in it. Once I get it set up, I'll let you know how strong the flow is. I may have to baffle it, but we'll see. :)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #9 
Tappy4me

So far, the tank is nice. For this betta it will work well, but for a betta that really likes to swim, I suggest getting the next size up.

The flow is really strong, but the suction from the filter isn't too bad. My poor guy was pushed around like a sailboat....so I have the filter turned off until I can get it baffled.

The LED on it is super bright.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:41 PM   #10 
yayagirl1209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappy4me View Post
So far, the tank is nice. For this betta it will work well, but for a betta that really likes to swim, I suggest getting the next size up.

The flow is really strong, but the suction from the filter isn't too bad. My poor guy was pushed around like a sailboat....so I have the filter turned off until I can get it baffled.

The LED on it is super bright.
Hmmm. Good to know. My double tail boy is definitely an explorer. And his finnage may get him tossed around too much if the flow is that strong. He's much happier with a baffled filter...but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how to baffle a sump type filter. Lemme know how it all goes.
yayagirl1209 is offline   Reply With Quote