Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #11 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Well, dwarf gouramis are more peaceful than the larger species actually. You'd have to get one only because if you ended up with two males they'd fight each other. They are however both top dwellers, your betta might feel threatened, not too sure. Just a matter of how well fish get used to each other.

Dwarf Gourami
Actually dwarf gourami can get pretty aggressive, too. Honey gourami are considered to be the nicest of all gourami. You could keep 1 male and 2 females in a 10 gal. But everything I've read about dwarf and honey gourami suggests that they are best suited for something with the same footprint as a 20 long or larger.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #12 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
Actually dwarf gourami can get pretty aggressive, too. Honey gourami are considered to be the nicest of all gourami. You could keep 1 male and 2 females in a 10 gal. But everything I've read about dwarf and honey gourami suggests that they are best suited for something with the same footprint as a 20 long or larger.
Can you accurately sex gouramis? :s
I never thought so. We used to have blue gouramis in my horrible-childhood-tropical-aquarium, they were my faves, the one lived for like 8 years till he exploded randomly (guessing SBD or something, don't even remember). But they're way out of my range now D; and in that case, prolly no gouramis with your betta :(
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #13 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Can you accurately sex gouramis? :s
I never thought so. We used to have blue gouramis in my horrible-childhood-tropical-aquarium, they were my faves, the one lived for like 8 years till he exploded randomly (guessing SBD or something, don't even remember). But they're way out of my range now D; and in that case, prolly no gouramis with your betta :(
I know the honey and dwarf gouramis can be sexed. The males are much brigther and the female are a little smaller. You don't usually seem females in the stores because males are better looking. Also I'm really sorry to hear that your previous gourami exploded. That must have been horrifying

These are honey gourami. The top is the male and the bottom is the female. I think these little guys can be kept in a 10 gal, but I don't know how much more can go in there with them.

I'm looking at gourami for my 29 gal community. I was told to stay away from dwarf gourami because of some issues with disease and inbreeding. I'm looking at either honey gourami or Thicklips Gouram (sometimes called Sunset Gourami) as those are the only gourami small enough.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I'd love to do a proper gourami tank one day :3 My blues were the hardiest things ever, like we took such bad care of them, they were the only things that survived us, besides convict cichlids (in the same tank). Haha, but almost everyone has horror fish stories from their past.
Those honeys are really nice though. I love their feelers ^^
Guess they just aren't the best match for a betta tank though :/
Old 01-19-2012, 09:47 PM   #15 
thekoimaiden

I love the look of gourami, too. Those little feelers are what I fell in love with. The blues are really pretty, but I don't have the tank space for them. You could probably do a suitable small gourami tank in a 20 long or 29 gal. I don't know if you're aware, but there is a gourami forum in the parent forum of Bettafish.com (tropicalfishkeeping.com).
Old 01-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #16 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

The most I have room for is a 10 right now, and I need it to have betta lol.
When I move out after 7 years of university to be a vet, I will deff get one :D
Old 01-19-2012, 09:58 PM   #17 
thekoimaiden

Ahh I just finished university so I do have the room for more tanks. But fighting the urge to add more bettas...

Best of luck in becoming a vet! We need more vets knowledgeable about fish care!!