Betta Fish Forum banner

Ack! Help, tail ripped by sharp plant!!!!

511 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Shirleythebetta 
#1 ·
I just bought a brand new 5 gal set up for my wal-mart rescue and the new plastic plants I got were rougher than I thought and when I got home today he had a HUGE slit all the way down his tail! >.< arrgh, I feel so stupid! I hate to take him out for AQ salt treatment when he didn't even get 24 hrs in his new tank, but I probably have to right? of course I'm gonna go take the plants out first though.

#3 ·
OK thank you!!! I'm surprised that being from walmart and all he dosn't have fin rot... thankfully! The tank isn't cycled yet so I guess I'll just be extra careful and do weekly 25% WC's... and as for protien, I do feed him pellets with the main ingrediants are fish, squid and krill meal but if i alternated that with FD bloodworms, are those high protein?

#4 · (Edited)
My boy red did the same thing but he did it by his tail dragging on gravel. I used Melefix (if I spelled that right) and his healed up in no time. Follow the directions to a T. It's less than 10 bucks and it worked within 2 weeks. You could try that too. I'm not saying its gonna be like that for your fish since they are all different but it worked for me. You can get it at any pet store. I also removed hard plants and put in fiber or silk plants and replaced his gravel with large round stones or those glass rock things you get cheap. Something smooth and round. You should probably check your filter for rough spots and sucking power (if you have a filter) too and do everything else that Pataflafla said and he will get better in no time. There's good protein but I don't think there is HIGH protein in the blood worms but most just use that as an occasional treat.

#7 ·
Pataflafla, how much luck have you had with live food? I have thought about giving mine some live food but I like to research before I try it. I didn't know that FD bloodworms could do that. The jar I bought said min crude protien.. Maybe thats the brand or am I just looking at it wrong?

#8 ·
Any food with a min protein of above 45% is generally a better quality since it'll have more digestible products.

As far as live food, I've never fed it but I've heard that bettas really enjoy it.

I believe Petsmart sells wingless fruit flies, which would be suitable. Mosquito larvae if you can hatch them in a bucket of clean water is also highly suitable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.