Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 
MajesticKat

Exclamation Parasites and Fin Rot? HELP!

I'm a rookie betta fish owner, and I recently went away to college with my good fishy pal Francis. Francis has always been a fairly docile fish, not really flairing, but always on the move. When I came to college two weeks ago, he started acting more frantic. He was constantly flairing and scratching himself on rocks and the walls of my aquarium. He would also eat anything I put in his tank as soon as it hit the surface. I took this as a sign that he had parasites, so I ordered a heater, new dechlorinator, and "TETRA Parasite Guard." Yesterday I put in the parasite guard, and today his fins are a very scary red color. He is usually red with very crystal clear fins, but now he is all red, lethargic, and just downright scary looking. I know he has fin rot, so I did a 100% water change and rock cleaning yesterday and today. I really don't want Francis to die, I just don't know what to do. I also have to return home for the weekend (an hour and a half away) and I am having a friend feed him... I'm not sure what to do! PLEASE HELP FRANCIS! He's just sitting at the bottom of the bowl. AHH!
Attached Images

Last edited by MajesticKat; 01-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.
MajesticKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #2 
MajesticKat

More info

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 Gal? I'm not sure. See attached picture.
What temperature is your tank? 76-80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? It has a bubble maker, but I thought it freaked Francis out so I turned it off.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Loner.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Bio gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3 per day.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 2 times a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30-40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? amquel plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No testing materials.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? colors are blending... fins clumped and turning redish brown.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? went from normal-->too active, always flashing and scratching-->lethargic, on bottom of tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last weekish.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Parasite Guard (tetra) more amquel
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)?less than a year
Attached Images

MajesticKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 AM   #3 
callistra

I've never treated parasites naturally but some people use heat and medicinal aquarium salt.

I use General Cure by API as long as its external and feed medicated pellets when it goes interal. Paraguard ought to do the same as General Cure though. How long as he been on this? What does his poop look like? How often does he go? Also I really don't know how you're treating if you don't know how much water is in the tank.. medicating properly is really important and you -have- to know how much is in there or you will under or over dose, both of which can be harmful. You can fill water up in gallon jugs and add it until its full and then you know how much you have (just make sure to rinse fully in hot water first. and you can use any other container as such to measure so long as its rinsed well and hasn't been cleaned with soap)

76-80 is a big range. Why is it jumping around like that? Or is that a guess? I don't see a thermometer in your guy's bowl and those heaters can't be trusted to run true. If you don't have one, you really need one of those cheap submersible glass thermometers. Set so the actual temp is 80 to deal with the parasites.

Your water change is not sufficient for uncycled tank. I'm not sure if that's really 5g but if it is you need at least one 100% change a week and that' including rinsing the gravel. Ideally you will do two changes, one partial mid week and one full. Or you could do one full around the 5 day mark but the former is better, based on my experience of daily drops kit testing.

Last edited by callistra; 01-21-2012 at 02:00 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin rot, help betta has fin rot, sick