Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-14-2012, 08:58 PM   #1 
Pucky21811

Red face Macaryn 2 Dosage Question AND... Swim Bladder injury not getting any better

Hello everyone!

1.I recently figured out what finally might be wrong with Puck (Septicemia) and I bought Macaryn 2. He is in a 1 gal QT bowl. Here is why this is a dilemma: These are the instructions on the box:

"First day, add the contents of 2 packets per 10 gallons of water. Second-fifth day, add 1 packet per 10 gallons of water."

What should I do for the 1 gal QT bowl since it is made for 10 gallons? Also, it says don't do water changes while treating. Is that a good idea?

ALSO! Since I'm not able to treat him right away, I have to wait a week because I will be away. However, when I do come back there is 7 days left before I return to school (a 4.5 hour car ride for my babies and myself). Would it be ideal to treat him for 5 of those 7 days, two days of rest, and then a stressful car ride upstate? Should I wait until I return to school?

OKAY SECOND QUESTION
2. Zamboni, my other fish, suffered a Swim Bladder Injury, through my careless fault, and has been doing okay. He swims, barely, he eats, and gets to the air with some struggle. He often sits in his betta log and on his plastic plant. He is just listless.

Is it because he hasn't the energy? I fasted him for a few days, and slowly reintroducing food so he doesn't get bloated. Also, every few days I've been raising the water level up to average so he gets used to reaching the top. However, he still seems to always be on the bottom. Today was the first day he had his usual fill of food and his water level was on par.

Could he just be tired? He just hops, struggles really, up to the top for air and sinks back down. He will come up for food, so I know that's a good sign.

WOAH Sorry that's a lot If anyone can answer any of these questions, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!
Pucky21811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 
callistra

No your 1 gallon is going to need changing at least once every 2 days. Just make sure to add back in the correct amount for what you take out.

I would not wait to treat if that's what you suspect. He may very likely require more than one round so I hope you can find someone who can be prepared to treat him a second dosage.. At least do the one of course.

Take separate 10 tablespoons aquarium water and dissolve the full packet. For the double dose you take 2 tablespoons of the liquid and put it in the tank. For the subsequent single dose take 1 tablespoon of the dissolved liquid and use in the tank. You will need to mix this up fresh daily.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #3 
Sakura8

Hi Pucky. I think we took care of your questions about Puck and his treatment in your other thread so let's see what we can do about Zamboni. Can you tell us what caused the SBD problem?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #4 
Pucky21811

Thank you! Yes, Puck is figured out and will be better soon, I'm sure. Zamboni is my huge concern now.

He was mishandled with a net. I won't point the finger at anyone else but myself... It happened about 3 weeks ago. I didn't acknowledge what exactly happened, but he was darting away more quickly than usual from the net (which I prefer not to use unless the cup has proved unsuccessful several times). I finally got him into the net, put him in his cup, and he sank to the bottom on his side. Though not dead, he darts around quickly and still reacts to food very well.

At first I thought I broke his spine, then it sounded like a Swim Bladder problem. I kept him in warm darkness with ES for a week and a half, but nothing has improved. He seems a little hunch-backed, which is why I thought the spine problem. He hops along in the bowl (which has its level cut in half so that its easier for him to get to the top). And struggles to reach to the top. He prefers to lay on his plant, in his betta log, or (more commonly) on the floor of his bowl on his side. He will dart up to the top for air, food, and dart away to hide when I see him. Sometimes I see him gasping for air, but not most of the time.

His fin biting has increased since the injury, and they look awful. I could really use any and all suggestions. I hope I can at least make life easier for him!
Old 01-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #5 
Sakura8

When Zamboni swims, does he tend to hop around in an almost upright position? This does sound like a back injury. If it is, keeping the water shallow like you have helps. Put lots of soft plants in that reach almost to the surface; the betta hammocks also help. I have a betta who I bought with a back injury/defect and he hops about almost upright, kind of fluttering up to the surface to breathe. When he does lay on the bottom, he lays on his side but he also has learned to perch in his plants where he's up close to the surface. Zamboni's injury doesn't sound life threatening but he will probably be a special-needs guy for the rest of his life. Not to fear though, if you arrange the tank to suit his needs, he can be a happy guy.

The tailbiting . . . maybe it's easier for him to get around without long fins. Mine is a crowntail so he doesn't have much to drag around but since Zamboni has pretty big fins, he may be biting them to make things easier for himself. There's no real way to prevent him from biting so the only thing you can do is keep his water very clean to prevent infection.

Accidents happen and fish can be unpredictable when being handled so don't be too hard on yourself.

If I can, I'll try to get a video of my guy swimming. In the meanwhile, here's a video of his setup that I shot a while ago. You can see him swim a little near the end. I've since been able to raise the water level another two inches and gotten him a better heater.

http://s1236.photobucket.com/albums/...t=MVI_1345.mp4
Old 01-21-2012, 10:44 AM   #6 
Pucky21811

What you've described is exactly how my little guy swims. The video, too shows that as well. Okay, so unfortunately it is a back problem. I'm glad he can survive.

I have a plastic plant he has used more often and his betta log as well. I am really thinking about getting a hammock for him, but first I'm going to buy a rectangular kritter keeper, like you have. I think, and I've read on this forum, that its easier for them to get to the top then a rounded bowl. Maybe the fin biting will stop then, too.

I wondering if he was using it to help him swim; I just thought since he was a Roundtail it wasn't that hard for him, but that's a good point. Thank you! Such a relief for both of my boys this past month. Wonderful people on this forum :)
Old 01-21-2012, 11:27 AM   #7 
Sakura8

I got my kritter keeper at Petco, I think it's the largest size. It's only 1.75g though. And if it helps you any, my little guy is probably the happiest-looking betta out of all of mine. Having his back trouble doesn't seem to keep his spirits down at all.

I'm glad we've been able to help you out. :) If you need any help with Zamboni, you can always PM me.