Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-21-2012, 03:00 AM   #21 
Bombalurina
Member
 
Bombalurina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Australia
Self-cloning crayfish. Do it.

Or, take the plunge and go salt-water!
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #22 
diablo13
Member
 
diablo13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Crab State! In other words, Maryland.
Bomb is right, if it's really hard, like 8pH, saltwater would be cool. But it's SUPER expensive. I only know the general size of a 40 breeder, but depending on the height I'd say it would cost you around $1500, maybe a little less, for a 40 breeder saltwater. But hard water is also cichlid water, my friend :D I'm pretty sure a 40 breeder is too small, if you remind me of the footprint I can check, but Midas Cichlids are epic. They get huge, though, and I can't remember if they like basic or acidic water. You could do a big tank of African Cichlids, they need hard water. They like a lot of rock work, a big tank of them would look nice. I think you could fit maybe 2-3 different species In there, like a breeding pair of each.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #23 
emeraldsky
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Self-cloning crayfish. Do it.

Or, take the plunge and go salt-water!
Im leaning away from the cray fish since I dont have anything that would eat them when my colony gets too big, they arent aggressive and wont eat each other.

No salt water for me, its waaaaaay too expensive x.x




Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo13 View Post
Bomb is right, if it's really hard, like 8pH, saltwater would be cool. But it's SUPER expensive. I only know the general size of a 40 breeder, but depending on the height I'd say it would cost you around $1500, maybe a little less, for a 40 breeder saltwater. But hard water is also cichlid water, my friend :D I'm pretty sure a 40 breeder is too small, if you remind me of the footprint I can check, but Midas Cichlids are epic. They get huge, though, and I can't remember if they like basic or acidic water. You could do a big tank of African Cichlids, they need hard water. They like a lot of rock work, a big tank of them would look nice. I think you could fit maybe 2-3 different species In there, like a breeding pair of each.

It is that high, our water is like, insanely hard here XD

Took a look at Midas Cichlids, they have that hump thing on their head that I find creepy looking x.x I do like Jack Dempseys a lot though, and my tank seems to be the right size and they like hard water, how many could I fit in there? I know they get big o3o
I'll look into Africans though, I've never looked at cichlids too much since the different kinds confuse me X)
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #24 
Philnominal
Member
 
Philnominal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tampa, Florida
For the jacks, 1. Probably no other fish. You might get buy with somethign to clean up but idk. You also might get buy with a breading pair but if you did there would be next to no chance of anything else being in there. I haven't kept them myself though. Also i hear Electric Blue Jack Dempseys tend to be more peaceful, but they also aren't near as hardy as the normal Jack Dempsey
Philnominal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:01 PM   #25 
bubbles1
Member
 
bubbles1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: ontario
If you want something different maybe try African clawed frogs!! Or perhaps or turtle! Or I was thinking maybe tanganyikan biotope there always cool. ;) like so e shell dwellers and few calvus! Maybe you can Get a salvini cichlid? Or a pair of sajicas?

I'm just putting ideas out there :)
bubbles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:24 PM   #26 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
African cichlids look awesome, I hate that they fight though. If you do buy the flat rocks at a hardware store, still expensive but not that expensive. Oh and one thing about cichilds, make sure the ones you get are from the same lake because some have different needs. Peacocks and electric yellows are my favorite.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #27 
Jrf456
Member
 
Jrf456's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Florida
Cichlids are gorgeous fish. We breed them in my first period (Tampa being the fish producing capital of the US), we have a class called Biotech. We basically breed pet store fish like mollies, oscars, cichlids, gouramis, all sorts of tetras, guppies, & I'm working on setting up betta breeding soon if my teacher lets me. :D They work great with cray fish too.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #28 
emeraldsky
Member
 
emeraldsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnominal View Post
For the jacks, 1. Probably no other fish. You might get buy with somethign to clean up but idk. You also might get buy with a breading pair but if you did there would be next to no chance of anything else being in there. I haven't kept them myself though. Also i hear Electric Blue Jack Dempseys tend to be more peaceful, but they also aren't near as hardy as the normal Jack Dempsey
A breeding pair would be nice, though Id have to clean out the eggs since I dont want to deal with fry. I like regular Jacks more than the blues so I wouldnt bother with the electric blues ^^
Not sure what could live with them though, even as a clean up crew o.o



Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles1 View Post
If you want something different maybe try African clawed frogs!! Or perhaps or turtle! Or I was thinking maybe tanganyikan biotope there always cool. ;) like so e shell dwellers and few calvus! Maybe you can Get a salvini cichlid? Or a pair of sajicas?

I'm just putting ideas out there :)
Ive looked at turtles and stuff like that, but I want a fish tank so something that can live underwater all the time. No frogs since I swore them off after having a pacman frog XD
Ill look into the cichlids ^^



Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
African cichlids look awesome, I hate that they fight though. If you do buy the flat rocks at a hardware store, still expensive but not that expensive. Oh and one thing about cichilds, make sure the ones you get are from the same lake because some have different needs. Peacocks and electric yellows are my favorite.
The lakes always confused me x.x
I'll find something I like though and then base other inhabitants off that so Ill make sure everything is compatible c:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
Cichlids are gorgeous fish. We breed them in my first period (Tampa being the fish producing capital of the US), we have a class called Biotech. We basically breed pet store fish like mollies, oscars, cichlids, gouramis, all sorts of tetras, guppies, & I'm working on setting up betta breeding soon if my teacher lets me. :D They work great with cray fish too.
Oh that sounds like a neat class! Wish we had something like that in california :o

Crayfish go along with cichlids? That would be an awesome thing to have in a tank :D
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #29 
elegantlyunsophisticated
New Member
 
elegantlyunsophisticated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sunny Southern California!
some Malawi peacocks would be gorgeous, soooo much variety. I have some and there's been one I've been eyeing in petco for a while now :3 I also have a fish called a Hujeta Gar, not a real gar but a needlenose type fish that looks super awesome and loves nomming shrimp
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #30 
kfryman
Member
 
kfryman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Fremont, CA
Emerald quick question what part of Cali? I am in the bay area by San jose. It is just cool to know other fellow betta lovers/other fish lovers around me.

The lakes confuse me too, you just gotta do your research though.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
40 gallon, breeder, stocking

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.