Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-20-2012, 04:46 PM   #11 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, form from mom and color from dad. But this isn't 100% true. Their back ground plays a big role. And other factors, like marbles etc which are rather difficult to totally clean out will sort of be dominant though it's mom's genes - specially if she is from a true marble line.

Yes parent's genetic is important. Say you have a so so pair but from a very good back ground. You will have one or two (at least) perfect fry. But say you have a show quality pair but from a bad line, your fry might totally be bad (not SQ).

Try not to breed 2 8-ray because you probably will produce rose tails, unless you want them. Try to always use 8-rayed females with pointed edges instead of males.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #12 
LittleBettas

Merle's parents are both marbles, the dad was a blue/white/black dragon PK and mom was a blue/green/orange/black SD <---- Im guessing both parents being marbles is what you mean from true marble line?

These are Smudge's parents:

Dad is a lavender/red butterfly HM and mom I think was labeled as a SD (green)

He is still young and Im hoping his fins might improve some (I'll see once he gets here)...
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #13 
auomauom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpocicat View Post
I've had spawns that took almost 3 days, then I once had a spawn that only took 1 hr! It really depends on the fish you choose and how compatible they are.
Thank You!!! I separated the male and female last night and I also don't think my female's ready since I don't see her belly getting bigger. Hopefully it will!!
auomauom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #14 
indjo
TFK Moderator

So you know Merle has a strong marble background. You shouldn't need a marble male to produce marbled fry..... unless of course you want to produce a high percentage marbles. But you (and I) don't know her form background. We can assume though she has long anal genes in her (because her daddy is a PK - though it doesn't show) thus shouldn't be paired to a male with long anal fins.

Smudge's dad isn't SQ but he has great balanced finnage - a rose tail. Unfortunately his mom isn't too good - she is a 4 rayed SD (to avoid rose defects) with poor dorsal (leaning back not forward) and long anals. In general it's better if we presume that Smudge has poor form background (assuming mom's genetic form is stronger). So to be safe, it would be better if he was paired to a really good (form - genetic wise) female.

I'm not trying to discourage you with negative views of your pair. This is my personal (not scientific) judgment which could be totally wrong. Understand that when someone asks about one day producing SQ bettas, I will be harsh with my judgment in the hope that he/she will produce SQ in as few generations as possible.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #15 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
So you know Merle has a strong marble background. You shouldn't need a marble male to produce marbled fry..... unless of course you want to produce a high percentage marbles. But you (and I) don't know her form background. We can assume though she has long anal genes in her (because her daddy is a PK - though it doesn't show) thus shouldn't be paired to a male with long anal fins.
I do know her parents fins.... I said them, lol... and I do want a high percentage of marbles..
dad was a blue/white/black dragon PK and mom was a blue/green/orange/black SD

Quote:
Smudge's dad isn't SQ but he has great balanced finnage - a rose tail. Unfortunately his mom isn't too good - she is a 4 rayed SD (to avoid rose defects) with poor dorsal (leaning back not forward) and long anals. In general it's better if we presume that Smudge has poor form background (assuming mom's genetic form is stronger). So to be safe, it would be better if he was paired to a really good (form - genetic wise) female.
I wasn't impressed with his mom either, but I have hopes since he's only 4 months he will show improvement on fins.... and since as you said... it seems mothers genetic form is stronfer....
So would Merle be a good match?

Quote:
I'm not trying to discourage you with negative views of your pair. This is my personal (not scientific) judgment which could be totally wrong. Understand that when someone asks about one day producing SQ bettas, I will be harsh with my judgment in the hope that he/she will produce SQ in as few generations as possible.
Its totally fine, I have asked for your help, and whether I like it or not, I will take it and use it
I appreciate the help
Im uploading pictures of Merle's parents now
Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM   #16 
LittleBettas

Okay...
This is what I have for breeding

breeding tank (10 gal)
Grow out tank (29 gals, plus a 30 gal container that CAN be used)
sponge filters (one for each tank)
Heaters (one each tank)
Live plants (hornwort, anarchis (sp?), and mossballs)

(Soon to arive)
Bananaworms
Microworms
Walterworms
Vinegar Eels
Baby Brine Shrimp (90%)
Hikari First Bites

What am I missing?

Last edited by LittleBettas; 01-21-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: forgot to put down plants!
Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #17 
LittleBettas

Quote:

I found the thread with the pictures of Merles parents.... they are on the top:

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=77093
Old 01-22-2012, 05:03 AM   #18 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I can't comment on them. Their fins aren't open - can't see the form nor the rays. But I can see that all fry that were photoed are 2 rayed - implying that the parents were of poor pairing (form wise)..... I'm guessing the female had a rather round caudal.