Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #31 
LittleBettas

Have you considered a Parrot fish? <---- hybrid cichlid
They are VERY personable with people, have their own personalities... and you can teach them to eat out of your hand
You could only do one in a 40 gallon with a few danios... just remember.... you need to have fast moving, nonaggressive fish with them as most parrots are kind of slow moving most of the time (hybrids, most have deformed spines or swim bladders) which can often make them easy picking by other fish... or you could just do two parrot fish and they would be happy

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=41158
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #32 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlyunsophisticated View Post
some Malawi peacocks would be gorgeous, soooo much variety. I have some and there's been one I've been eyeing in petco for a while now :3 I also have a fish called a Hujeta Gar, not a real gar but a needlenose type fish that looks super awesome and loves nomming shrimp

Oh the gar is really neat :O
I have no idea where I would get one though

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfryman View Post
Emerald quick question what part of Cali? I am in the bay area by San jose. It is just cool to know other fellow betta lovers/other fish lovers around me.

The lakes confuse me too, you just gotta do your research though.

Im in central California, around Stockton ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Have you considered a Parrot fish? <---- hybrid cichlid
They are VERY personable with people, have their own personalities... and you can teach them to eat out of your hand
You could only do one in a 40 gallon with a few danios... just remember.... you need to have fast moving, nonaggressive fish with them as most parrots are kind of slow moving most of the time (hybrids, most have deformed spines or swim bladders) which can often make them easy picking by other fish... or you could just do two parrot fish and they would be happy

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=41158
I've looked at parrots before, not sure how I feel about them XD
The faces are kind of weird to me but they seem to have really cute personalities. I think I'd just have 2 parrots if I got them though, are they social?
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #33 
elegantlyunsophisticated

the gar is super cool, I found mine at a LFS, but I'm all the way down in San Diego. I have a parrot fish as well! They are very intelligent and love to explore everything. Mine also swims up to me whenever I show up and does a wiggle dance much like a betta. They get big and BRIGHT. I have a juvie who still has black spots and is about the size of a clementine but they grow to be pretty big and so unbelievably orange. A lot of people boycott them because they are hybrids or whatever but they really are awesome fish. Mine also goes pretty fast and can hold his own against other big fish.
elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #34 
elegantlyunsophisticated

I forgot to add: VERY social! Mine loves to school with the clown loach and the angelicus loach :3
Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #35 
LittleBettas

Lol, their faces grown on you.... trust me, lmao
They really do have cute personalities... my younger sister and I had one (each in a 30 gallon tank).... mine, Duncan, was shy with everyone... except me, the second he saw me he would come wiggling out and begging for food, my sisters, Casanova (she had him longer than I had mine) was a HUGE flirt... he came up to give everyone "kisses".... follow peoples fingers... and my sister taught him to eat from peoples hands... he lived happily with a few danios... when my tank started leaking we put Duncan in his tank for a week and they hit it off HUGE.... Duncan came out a lot more and they snuggled up at night <3 (we had a power outage during a really bad icestorm and all of our fish passed away)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #36 
elegantlyunsophisticated

yup, they are so lovable! I think they have the personality of an oscar without all the murderyness cause mine has lived with pretty much everything so far (even African cichlids! he's learned their submission motion pretty well and there's been no problems) Mine loves to snuggle with my Jewel cichlid, the jewel just kind of sits there but the parrot will be having a ball XP He's also becoming a brighter orange as time goes along, and the black patches are receding.
and yes, the face will grow on you, they're adorable XP
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM   #37 
diablo13

I don't have one, but at the LFS a couple of months ago, my dad found one in a tank and got it to follow his finger around XD if I had the space, I totally would've bought it for him.
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:39 PM   #38 
emeraldsky

Alright guys, I'm thinking either 2 parrots or a jack dempsey.
Definitely leaning towards the parrots though.

Went to my LFS today and went to see parrots, theyre pretty fun and those derp faces XD
Old 01-23-2012, 12:40 AM   #39 
elegantlyunsophisticated

do parrots! when they grow up and color up they will be so bright and beautiful, AND they'll have amazing personalities. I'll post a pic of my little guy if you want to see how much he's colored up at such a small size, if I can get one that is, the derp is schooling with the loaches X_X
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #40 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegantlyunsophisticated View Post
do parrots! when they grow up and color up they will be so bright and beautiful, AND they'll have amazing personalities. I'll post a pic of my little guy if you want to see how much he's colored up at such a small size, if I can get one that is, the derp is schooling with the loaches X_X
oh please do!
Im currently looking into care for them on a couple of different websites and I'm pretty sure I have everything they need. Got 2 pieces of gorgeous driftwood from a guy on craigslist as well so now my tank is all fab looking 8D

Tags
40 gallon, breeder, stocking