Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-21-2012, 10:41 PM   #11 
SmokeNLark

I have both. I like the look of sand better, but in small tanks that are not cycled, I would definitely go with gravel. It'll make water changes easier. But sand is gorgeous. And yeah, I don't get what you mean about starting over. Personally, I would clean a 1 gallon 100% water change twice a week.

And Olympia- I'm not totally sure about stirring. I don't really with mine (as my pleco does it for me, haha) It will compact more over time though. You could get trumpet snails. They dig in the sand and aerate it for you. And sand kind of gets sucked up in a siphon. The trick is to keep it a inch or so away so it picks up the waste and not the sand. Not hard to do at all :)
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #12 
BettaSnap456

Ello, I have the same tank, well 2 of them for my bettas as a temporary home. Sand would be much, MUCH more harder to clean than those beads. Honestly I prefer the beads; they are easier to clean for me. I hope this helped! :)
BettaSnap456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:16 PM   #13 
MaxGreenMDE

I did end up going with sand and will decide if I'm going to keep it or not come the water change day. Right now it is making my water cloudy but hopefully it'll settle and not look cloudy anymore :/.

I've honestly just never liked the look of gravel..

My mom says that the sand will start to smell bad..I'm not sure how true that is and I can't see why it would?..

I used this sand..

CaribSea Aquarium Sand - Fish - Sale - PetSmart
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:25 PM   #14 
thekoimaiden

That is the sand I would like to go with for my 29 gal community. It's a good choice; fish look better against a black background and substrate.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:37 PM   #15 
Bombalurina

Make sure you do stir it. I don't have any burrowing critters - my cories dig around the top layers but don't get down to the bottom, and a betta certainly won't. I stir mine once a week to avoid gas pockets.

Olympia - as long as you hold the gravel vac far enough away, only a tiny amount of sand will get sucked up. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #16 
Draug Isilme

I like sand or just straight up plant substrate in NPT's and gravel with tanks with no plants. Gravel is kinda messy, but you won't really have to worry about gas build up in your substrate and that's what siphons are for ^.^ With sand and/or plant substrate, the roots of the plants would take care of the problem and sand makes clean up much easier- the main catch is stirring the sand until your plants mature enough to be able to keep gas bubbles out... but yeah, that's my opinion ^.^;
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:02 AM   #17 
MaxGreenMDE

Is there anything I can get like a shrimp or something that would burrow?
MaxGreenMDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:26 AM   #18 
Pitluvs

I have both, gravel in all my Betta tanks and sand in my 29g community. I'm getting rid of my sand, I really can't stand it. In such a small tank, gravel would be better since you are doing so many water changes. You'd have a cloudy tank every week when you go to do a 100% change. I personally wouldn't put sand in an uncycled tank.

And we did 1 50% and 1 100% change a week, no need of stressing your Betta out with too many water changes. Water that is too clean isn't good for them.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #19 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGreenMDE View Post
Is there anything I can get like a shrimp or something that would burrow?
Malasyian trumpet snails burrow in the substrate, but they also have a tendency to overpopulate. This would put a lot of ammonia in the water as snails have a heavy bio-load.

I still think you're better off going with gravel. There are black gravels if you like the look of a dark substrate better.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote