Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #1 
PitGurl

Unhappy Toxic fish tank...

I'm having a serious issue with one of my tanks and I have no clue what is going on.
Some of you may remember the my HMPK dragon Tinsel having issues when I first got him. He was showing signs of SBD soon after arriving from Thailand so I treated it as such. He was touch and go for a while but pulled though. While I was treating Tinsel in his cup I moved him into the tank that held my other HMPK Baloo. I broke down Tinsels tank just in case, cleaned it and set it back up. I decided to keep Tinsel in Baloo's tank and put Baloo in the new one. Everything seemed fine at first. The next morning I noticed that Baloo was sitting on the bottom and his fins were clamped. When I checked on him again in a couple hours he was floating on his side at the surface, just like Tinsel. I quickly scooped him up and put him in a cup with some clean water. Sadly he didn't survive the night. I broke down the tank again and sanitized everything I could. I threw away the live plants and gravel. I set the tank back up with all new stuff and let it run a couple days and then tested the water to make sure everything was normal, everything checked out ok. A couple days ago I put my VT Kestrel in it. Yesterday I came home to find him acting the same way as the other two. He died today .

So here is what I do know...It's not the water, all my other fish are fine. The only thing I think it could possibly be is the gravel and the reason why is it's live plant substrate. Maybe I got a bad batch or something, like to much fertilizer. The stuff I have is called Flora-max. I read reviews and couldn't find anything bad other then it tends to be cloudy. I rinsed mine multiple times until it ran clear. I feel so terrible . I just wish I knew what was causing this.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #2 
chrissylee13

oh my gosh. :[ i'm so sorry about your fish. :[ i've never used live plant substrate but i'm sure some other people do or have.

have you always had bettas with the same substrate and has it always ended the same way?
chrissylee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #3 
callistra

How are you sterilizing the tank? Is there anything at all you're putting in there not sterilized? Heater or decorations?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 AM   #4 
PitGurl

I bleached the tank and replaced everything else. The tank was brand new when I put Tinsel in it, he started showing symptoms within a few hours of being acclimated. He seemed healthy when I unboxed him, he was very active in his shipping bag.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #5 
a123andpoof

Did you maybe not get all the bleach out?
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #6 
PitGurl

The bleach was only used the 3 time so it couldn't be that. All I know is I won't be using anymore plant substrate, at least not that brand. I don't know what to do about the tank. It's a $40 tank, brand new too.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #7 
SpookyTooth

I'm sorry for your losses! :(

Does the aquarium have a heater? If so, is it possible that it could be malfunctioning? I've read of people having faulty heaters, but I don't know if it can cause death.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote