Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 PM   #21 
Sena Hansler

Exactly... I understand, if you never knew you had allergies... or something comes up and you cannot afford a pet... by all means rehome to a good home or get the spca to do it for you... But don't lie and say "allergies" when really you mean "neglect" because you feel guilty.

I hope the people's conciences are eating away at them... because the depressed feeling I'm getting knowing my NEW pet will die in an hour...a day...a week... just never knowing, really does hurt.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #22 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

If they just left them at your door and left, they obviously realized something was wrong. They just didn't care enough to change it soon enough, and now, thanks to them, a beautiful animal is left to suffer, after doing absolutely nothing but being born in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #23 
Sena Hansler

My brother said I could give them to the pound saying they were abandoned. I couldn't even do that, to the pound. They are MY responsibility. And unless I cannot afford a bajillion dollars for them, I'll keep them to however bitter the end may be

And truthfully, I really want to be there when she passes away... I don't want to come home to a dead guinea, or wake up to a dead guinea... I don't even know if the other guinea Panda would act like an alarm that there is something wrong. Some animals do...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #24 
dew

How are They this morning?
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #25 
Sena Hansler

Well the water was depleted already, the pellets were gone... so I refilled them... Both are eating the veggies still too. I'm trying not to handle Creature too much - just in case it really is painful for her.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:03 AM   #26 
Sena Hansler

I weighed them...
Panda is ALMOST 2 pounds, which is very very good. my goal for her is 2.5, and see what she is like then (I don't need to feel the ridges of every rib in her body!)
Creature, (to make it easy on me) is 0.754 kg, aka I think about 1.7 pounds, which is also good as before she was 1.4 when I got her, 1.6 yesterday morning, and now 1.7.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM   #27 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
I've heard of people letting their guineas go on their own with kidney failure, that it is rather peaceful... I want her to be comfortable
I just wanted to let you know that its not always peaceful. In my experience it actually never is. I've had two pets, a young hedgehog and an elderly cat, die from kidney failure. The hedgehog was only three months old and had acute kidney failure. She was fine for two days after being diagnosed and then started having painful seizures every hour then they increased in frequency. My cat was elderly when she was diagnosed with kidney failure. She also had seizures but she only had them every few days to once a day at the worst. It's not always painless for the animal. Some of the statistics I found said that 1/3 of all animals with kidney failure will have seizures. That number would probably be higher in pocket pets since in cats and dogs the disease is easier to manage.

If I were you I would call the vet and ask if there would be a possible payment plan available. It could just be a UTI which is painful but fixable but without treatment will only get worse and can cause even more problems. I know it's expensive but it's important to figure out what's wrong now.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #28 
Sena Hansler

We're going in tomorrow... I noted that. Wednesday, afternoon. And even if we do diagnose it for sure, tomorrow, I don't have money for meds. I JUST have the money for check ups because for some reason my mind said "owners care for their pets so they wouldnt give away sick pets unless they mentioned the pet is sick" but I guess I forgot there is a huge lack in humanity.

Luckily Panda is fine...other than her complaining when I made her have a bath since her fur was so long that her pee was sticking to her x.x yuck! Then she complained when I trimmed her hair.... x.x
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #29 
hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
We're going in tomorrow... I noted that. Wednesday, afternoon. And even if we do diagnose it for sure, tomorrow, I don't have money for meds. I JUST have the money for check ups because for some reason my mind said "owners care for their pets so they wouldnt give away sick pets unless they mentioned the pet is sick" but I guess I forgot there is a huge lack in humanity.
Sorry I read this thread early this morning so I must have glossed over the vet appointment in my sleep haze. I would ask them tomorrow if they have a payment plan available. Most of the vet clinics I've used/shadowed out have a payment plan option. You usually have to pay a certain portion up front but then it's monthly payments after that. Plus the medication might not be terribly expensive.

I was just trying to warn you about the complications with kidney failure. I know when my two pets had the disease it was horrible and I wasn't expecting it to be so awful based on what I had read and heard from the vet.

Good luck with your appointment tomorrow. I hope everything goes okay and the piggies get better.
hedgehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:53 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Yeah - it's nice to know what could happen. That's why I noted I want to be there for her, not come home or wake up to her dead She's again downing the water like no tomorrow... which ends up just going out the other end as fast as she takes it in x.x And it hurts for her to be touched (I would hrut too, if my bones were sticking out). The vet was pretty grim when he told me what it could be... Even if it is ovarian cysts, or diabetes, I won't be able to afford the surgery :( here is a question... if it is something more minor, could I legit put an ad up asking someone to please take her, tell them what happened, and that she needs medical care I wasn't expecting to give so soon, therefore lack the funds? I'd hate to do it... But I would if it meant keeping her alive.