Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #51 
Sena Hansler

hmm ok I do recommend however a couple plants for him... because that'll lower stress lower stress helps with immune system
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #52 
StarBetta

Oh No. UPDATE: When he first had seizures he started to get better but now it came back to him. He's starting to scratch and dart so when I did a water change (yesterday) I added a tsp of epsom salt. Since this is a reoccurring symptom, should I change any medicine?
StarBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #53 
callistra

Epsom salts do nothing for parasites. Increasing tank temp around 80-82 and adding aquarium salt (1 tsp per gallon) may help.

Otherwise I'd try General Cure by API.

Nobody had you fill this out before..

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

Last edited by callistra; 01-25-2012 at 03:32 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #54 
StarBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Epsom salts do nothing for parasites. Increasing tank temp around 80-82 and adding aquarium salt (1 tsp per gallon) may help.

Otherwise I'd try General Cure by API.

Nobody had you fill this out before..
I believe he has ich as well so doesn't epsom salt treat that? Ooooooh. I think the EPS was for his bitten fins the first time...
Old 01-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #55 
callistra

Epsom salts are for constipation, bloating, chemical or ammonia poisoning or dropsy.

Aquarium salts are for bacterial and parasite infections.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #56 
StarBetta

Housing
What size is your tank? 1/2 Gallon
What temperature is your tank? Room temp. ALWAYS changes so the average would be 70-74 possibly 75.
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?No
Is your tank heated?I bought a mini heater for him but it was an uncontrollable heater and he almost got fried until I saved him. I still have it but I don't use it.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? N/A

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 times a day 2-4 pellets depending on how hungry he is.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Either once or twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Nutrafin Aqua Plus Tap Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I do not have a testing kit so N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? When he has parasites the first time his fins were bitten and scraped but they have grown back nicely. Oh and the bump on his body has flattened down a bit but it's still there.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Starting to scratch against objects like before
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have put 1 tsp of epsom salt but everything else is normal.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes. After a few weeks (when I got him November 26th) he started darting and scratching.
How old is your fish (approximately)? I don't know but I think he's less than a year old maybe?
He is the fish in my avatar.

Last edited by StarBetta; 01-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #57 
StarBetta

Actually no in previous posts they have said Epsom is for internal parasites, which I think Captain America has, AGAIN.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #58 
callistra

Your housing is inadequate for keeping a betta long term. 1 gallon is absolute minimum and even then they are hard to keep ammonia down and heated. Ammonia would be getting very high with only a once a week water change in something that small. You will need to be making daily 100% changes in a half gallon and even then water temp is not okay for keeping a betta long term. It weakens their immune system and they will not live as long as one kept properly warm in 76-82 (78-79 ideal) temp. In the half gallon I would expect your guy to live maybe a couple years.. 3 if you're really lucky. Where as a betta properly taken care of in a heated well maintained enviornment will easily live 4+

Darting can also be due to ammonia burns. As ammonia builds, it literally burns their skin off, but it could be some kind of parasite problem, but you can't really treat it with temps that low. They need to be raised and you can't in that small bowl.. so.. first things first please try to invest in a system minimum 2.5 gallons, and an adjustable heater like a 24w Marineland Visitherm. This setup will run you maybe $35 total ($15 for tank and $20 for heater). The lid may be more.. run you another $15. This will at least give him adequate heat and slow the build up of ammonia. In something this size you need to do at least twice weekly water changes, one at 50% and one at 100% including cleaning the gravel.

Treating internal parasites requires feeding a medication..epsoms aren't going to help with this. Internal infections sometimes cause bloating and epsoms will help with the bloat but do not treat infection. Are you seeing signs of this? What does his poop look like and is he pooping daily? If you can't tell, try leaving the bottom bare so you can see what's coming out and how often.