Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #1 
Zappity

What is happening?! PLEASE HELP!

So, a few days after Christmas, I upgraded my betta to a 5.5 gal tank. He had a planaria outbreak a couple weeks later, so I completely tore it down and QT his plants in a 1 gallon bowl for about 1-2 weeks. 1 week ago, I put him back in, and then his plants. 2 days later, his water was cloudy. I assumed it was a bacteria burst and didn't worry about it. It remained cloudy all week. Yesterday I went to do his weekly water change (I know I should of done it sooner, but I didn't feel too good), and when I took off his lid I nearly barfed! The smell is horrible! I did an immediate 20% water change and took his water to get tested. It had 1ppm of ammonia! I panicked and went home and did a 50% water change. The water was still cloudy and it still stunk. Now I just did another 20% water change, and while I was siphoning, I nudged his anubia, and it literally fell apart! All the leaves came off and the roots floated off! It was so weird! They all had a white fuzz stuff, so I threw all of them away. I'm thinking that's the cause of the cloudiness (aside from the ammonia), and the smell, but can someone confirm this? My other betta has 2 anubias, one from the same tank/batch of plants that Mr. Bubble's has, and they're fine. The only difference is that he doesn't get much natural sunlight, and she ONLY has natural sunlight and then lights at night. What is going on?! Can someone please help me with this?
Thank you!
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #2 
SaylorKennedy

I'd imagine it could be something due to the natural light getting, or something that came along with the plants. If your tank smells that bad, I would do a much larger water change, like a good 75-80%. Even if you're in the cycling process, it should help with the smell.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #3 
bahamut285

How did you plant the anubia? They have what is called a "stolon" near the bottom. If you bury that, the plant will die and rot.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

I've found high levels of ammonia, very soft water, and not enough water current will sometimes cause anubias to rot.

I've had anubias rot before and the smell is enough to make you gag.

My anubias do well in everything from practically no light at all, to 100 watts of light for 6 hours a day.

The sudden change of conditions might have caused your anubias to rot. I had that happen with an anubias on a log from my LFS that went from high to low light.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #5 
Zappity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaylorKennedy View Post
I'd imagine it could be something due to the natural light getting, or something that came along with the plants. If your tank smells that bad, I would do a much larger water change, like a good 75-80%. Even if you're in the cycling process, it should help with the smell.
I'll do that right now :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamut285 View Post
How did you plant the anubia? They have what is called a "stolon" near the bottom. If you bury that, the plant will die and rot.
I just let them float so they wouldn't rot. They've always lived good like that until now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
I've found high levels of ammonia, very soft water, and not enough water current will sometimes cause anubias to rot.

I've had anubias rot before and the smell is enough to make you gag.

My anubias do well in everything from practically no light at all, to 100 watts of light for 6 hours a day.

The sudden change of conditions might have caused your anubias to rot. I had that happen with an anubias on a log from my LFS that went from high to low light.
Ah, that would make sense, as I have no filter in there because even baffled it's too strong for him.

Yes. I certainly gagged xD
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote