Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #11 
Sakura8

I'm glad he's acting a little more normal. If you feel comfortable observing him for the next few days, we can just take a wait-and-watch approach. If he starts to rub or dart, then we can start him on the General Cure. Alternatively, we could also try him on 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon but that would mean taking the plants out. The AQ salt will help him produce slime coat that would dislodge any external parasites he might have but it won't do anything if he has ammonia burn scars. It's your call. :)
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #12 
Tappy4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm glad he's acting a little more normal. If you feel comfortable observing him for the next few days, we can just take a wait-and-watch approach. If he starts to rub or dart, then we can start him on the General Cure. Alternatively, we could also try him on 1 tsp of AQ salt per gallon but that would mean taking the plants out. The AQ salt will help him produce slime coat that would dislodge any external parasites he might have but it won't do anything if he has ammonia burn scars. It's your call. :)

Since he seems a bit more normal, the wait and see option is fine with me. I have aq salt at home so can add that tonight when I get home from work. :) hopefully that will help.

How long should I treat him with the aq salt?
Tappy4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #13 
Tappy4me

Well, I just got home from work and already I see that Tango is better. He's swimming around like a maniac showing off, has built a bubble nest, and seems to be enjoying the air bubble that got caught under his IAL. I don't think I'm going to need to treat him with AQ salt right now after all.

He's opening and closing his mouth really wide, flaring at me and not doing any of the behavior he was yesterday. He really seems to like the new layout of the tank, so I'm happy if he's happy.

Also, he's eating like a pig again. Just offered him two soaked pellets, and he gobbled them down like he usually does.

In the 10 minutes I've been watching him so far (he's on my computer desk) he hasn't done any of the behavior from yesterday and is breathing normally.

*shrug* I'll keep an eye on him, but it seems like whatever was going on with him is not an issue right now?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #14 
Sakura8

I wonder if he got stuck somewhere under his decor for a while and by the time he worked his way loose, he was half-drowned and gasping. Or something to do with adjusting to his new tank?

Either way, I'm glad he's doing better. I agree, you probably don't need AQ salt. Hopefully this was a freak one-time occurence and not something he decides to make a habit of.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #15 
Tappy4me

Quote:
I wonder if he got stuck somewhere under his decor for a while and by the time he worked his way loose, he was half-drowned and gasping. Or something to do with adjusting to his new tank?

Either way, I'm glad he's doing better. I agree, you probably don't need AQ salt. Hopefully this was a freak one-time occurence and not something he decides to make a habit of.
Maybe, but there was nothing in there he could have really gotten stuck on. Either way, it was odd, and like you are saying..hopefully it was a one time occurrence. He is acting completely himself today as well...in fact, looking better than ever.

Amazing how much they worry us lol.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #16 
Sakura8

I think they do it on purpose when they're bored. They float around the tank and think "What can I do to freak my owner out?" XD I'll keep my fingers crossed that he stays perfectly healthy. :)
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #17 
Tappy4me

Quote:
I think they do it on purpose when they're bored. They float around the tank and think "What can I do to freak my owner out?" XD I'll keep my fingers crossed that he stays perfectly healthy. :)
I know, right??!

Like Draco with the whole getting stuck in a terra cotta pot several weeks ago...xD Worried me sick. He tore a whole bunch of scales off the top of his back. (He's completely healed....unless you know what he looked like initially, one can't tell lol)