Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #11 
Jodah

let it run it's course. perhaps get a few algae eaters that will munch on it (not sure the species) such as snails or cories(i think lol)
Jodah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #12 
Badjer

Unfortunately the footprint of the tank wont allow cories. Think I'll try the snails though. (:
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #13 
copperarabian

I got a rubber lipped pleco who ate it in less then 3 days(it was a huge piece of driftwood), I wish I still had that little guy :( I was told he would be fine because he was armored but he still ended up being eaten.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #14 
Badjer

The tank in question is a 20 long divided by four so i can't really add an algae eating fish. A snail on the other hand could easily be moved around the tank to where it's needed. And plecos scare me a little bit...not gonna lie! XD
Old 01-27-2012, 05:38 PM   #15 
copperarabian

I enjoy snails, but I feel they are poor algae eaters XD Unlike algea eating fish who completely clean the surface the snails leave a strange pattern lol

For a divided tank they are awesome :D
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #16 
bastage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
It doesn't seem to stink, it's just visually unappealing. I might try the snail trick. Despite their bioload, I was considering adding one or two anyways...maybe I'm weird, but snails to me are so cute! Would a species of snail besides MTS work? I'm fairly certain my lfs never stocks them.

Is Mopani wood btw...not recommended I know, but I bought it thinking it was Malaysian. It was boiled 5-6 times before it was added to the tank and soaked for a few days. The only issue I've had with it so far is the dreaded fuzz!
MTS are considered a pest snail because of how fast they reproduce.. I Can almost guarantee that if you called your local stores (petco & petsmart excluded as there not LFS really) & tell them you want trumpet snails they will have some.. When I bought my 1st batch I got about 20 of them for 1.00 & they rang up in the system as Bag'O'Snails. Since then I give them away to anyone who wants em.

Quote:
The tank in question is a 20 long divided by four so i can't really add an algae eating fish. A snail on the other hand could easily be moved around the tank to where it's needed. And plecos scare me a little bit...not gonna lie! XD
In a 20L I used Otto Cats to get rid of Algae blooms. I have 6 that I keep in a larger tank & if I get an algae bloom I will move them in groups of 3 through my 20 Long that is also divided 4 ways. And unlike Pleco's Otto's stay very small & wont bother betta's at all.
bastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #17 
Badjer

Petco and Petsmart are my only local options. Pruess Pets in Lansing is AWESOME, but it's two hours away and I don't have my own liscense. Ottos sound useful but my 20 long and a 2.5 are the only tanks I can have at the moment.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 PM   #18 
thekoimaiden

Quote:
Any idea how Apple snails do? Petco has those for sure...think I can run to Petsmart tomorrow and see what they have depending on how I feel. Just got my wisdom teeth out about an hour ago. XD
Ouch. Sorry about that. I remember when that happened to my boyfriend. He was loooopy for a few days. Might want to take it easy.

I don't know how apple snails would do as I've never kept them. As far as being able to get trumpet snails from petco and petsmart, I'm not sure about that either, but you could always ask. You get one of two answers when you do: the one you want and the one you don't want.

You could also try ordering trumpet snails online. I've seen them sold on Aquabid for very cheap.

Another benefit of trumpet snails is they would be able to go from section to section (unless the dividers go all the way to the bottom), and you won't have to move them yourself.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote