Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #1 
Thomasdog

Question Help! Sick Betta??!

Hello!
I just got a new female betta. When I got her, she seemed fine, very fast and swimming very actively. When I brought her home, however, I realized that she has strange fuzz on her in spots. It looks like white, fluffy, mold is growing on her body. However, she is eating well and will swim, but she usally just sits on her plants and sleeps. I am really worried about her and do not want her to die!! I am ordering a heater for her now, but I do not want her to die and I have never seen a betta like this! HELP!!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? ~ 3/4 gallon, but she has not been swimming at ALL
What temperature is your tank? 70 ish but ordering heater
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? open top
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none, a few platic plants and gravel

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NewLite Spectrum betta formula
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x per day, 1-2 pellets per feeding

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? every 2 weeks
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? De-Clorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? N/A

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Has white fuzz/mold on her on random spots
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? lazy, sleeps on plants all day
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 4 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no treatment, I dont want to do the wrong thing!!!
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? ~ 4 months

Last edited by Thomasdog; 01-26-2012 at 10:38 PM.
Thomasdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #2 
Thomasdog

Oh, and I just tried to clean the fungus off with an Q-Tip to get all the fungi off and it looks pretty bad. I don't think that she is going to make it through the night. If she does... what should I do? She just swims around in circles on one side... she eats, then stops, then swims some more. Please.... help
Old 01-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #3 
Thomasdog

Welll.. She made it through the night, so I am looking for treatment options!!! Please HELP ME!!!
Old 01-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a heated tank that you can float a small QT container in-to maintain water temp in the 76-77F range....this is going to be really important...if she came in one of those small temporary cups with a lid-these work great for QT-be sure and attach it to the side of the tank so the QT doesn't sink...

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and a tannin source if you have some-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-let this steep for 30min and use this premixed Tx water for 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today...she needs to stay in this QT in the Tx water during the treatment period...

Tomorrow start 50% water changes with the premixed Tx water-daily for 3 days-On day 4 make 100% with the premixed Tx water...repeat this schedule for 10 days.....

On day 11 make 25% water change with fresh like temp dechlorinated water for 2 days-Then make a water change on her tank you plan to keep her in and use that tank water for 50% daily water changes for 2 days to get her ready to go back in her tank....

Be sure the treatment water is within a few degrees of the QT water so not to temp shock her....

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

I would not recommend manual removal of the fungi/fuzz on her body-you can remove too much of her slime coat and make things worse....

Can you post a pic....

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 01-27-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #5 
Thomasdog

thanks so mcuh for your help. We went to a tropical fish store and got some salt water, and put a little bit of very diluted water in her tank. We were told that the salt water would help kill the bacteria. She is also going off her food, which is making me very worried. I am posting some photos. Also, can you please simplify a few words you used?
-QT container
-what is treatment water, how can i prepare this?
-tannin source
-Tx water
-what kind of varied diet? How can I get her to eat... I think that it is a parasite. Posting photos now below.

Last edited by Thomasdog; 01-27-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 
Thomasdog

Exclamation Photos of Her

Ok, here are the pics.

The parasite/infection is the white fuzz on her tail and back. it is also the white spots on her. PLEASE HELP!!!

Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #7 
callistra

Personally I would treat that with a medication, but if you want to go natural follow OFL's instructions.

I just want to add that in a tank that small you should be changing 100% every 2nd day max. Ammonia will be extremely high in your cleaning routine and that along with cold temps are likely is the reason he is sick. If you can get him in something larger it will be much easier to maintain.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 02:02 PM   #8 
Thomasdog

Yes, she normally lives in a larger tank, but for her disease, and the fact that this tank will be easier to clean, she is living in there until she gets better...

Also, you mentioned 'medication' where, and what can I get her?
Old 01-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #9 
Thomasdog

She's getting worse! :*(
HELP!!!!! How can I make her better????!
Old 01-29-2012, 12:37 PM   #10 
callistra

I would try very hard to find Kanaplex by Seachem as it will treat a broad range of both bacterial and fungal infections, but evidentally it is not so easy to find. Try yellowpages.com and search for aquariums. Call down the list. If you can't find it try Maracyns in combo (Maracyn and Maracyn - 2) or Maracyn Plus.

You will really need to know exactly how much water you are using so you can measure properly as the packages and scoops are made for 5 and 10 gallon tanks.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote