Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-27-2012, 09:32 PM   #1 
toddscire

Fedding fry like frogs?

Today we are testing some new food that is designed for frog breeding. It is a pellet and floats we also have it in micro grind at a little smaller than new hatched bb if bb have a Crude Protein (min) 6.8%, Crude Fat (min) 1.5%, Crude Fiber (max) 1.2%, Moisture (max) 86.0%
The frog food is around Crude Protein (min) 56% Crude Fat (min) 15% Crude Fiber (max)4% Moisture (max) 10% Ash and ? But if it floats and is made from Mosquitoes they are a family of small midge-like flies, the Culicidae. larva and algae are the first diet of wild betta right? When we look at larva wild betta under a microscope we see larva and algae and fats. So the question is are we feeding bb because it is all that is out there or because it is a good food? I hear over and over again that if it is not swimming the baby beta will not eat it. If you have no water movement in you rearing tanks you are doing something wrong. Frog food floats and is made mostly of bugs that are gut loaded with algae. So we are going to try a micro grind of frog food and see if it can be done and we are looking for any one who has had good luck with powder food for betta larval stage. We think it is very easy to keep the frog food in suspension for a long time. I think suspension is the key to raise high numbers of fry. Food on top or on bottom is seldom eaten till about the 10 day time. After 21 days they will feed on anything that will fit in the little mouth. But we always have a good supply of frog food left over after harvesting and think it might work. It is very very very cheap compared to other pellet food and offers a lot better diet for the betta. Just thought I would ask some others if they have used this before with good long term results.
toddscire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #2 
BeautifulBetta

Thats very interesting! I'd love to hear if anyone's got some good results from that.
BeautifulBetta is offline   Reply With Quote