Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 02:57 PM   #11 
Pitluvs

I've had rats since 2003, so I've always had different groups of ages. I took a break from 2007-2009 while I had my first child but as soon as I could get a new pair of boys I did. That was Sam and Dean, and then we drove 12 round trip to rescue Stewart and Shai. Shai was left behind at an apartment after a fire, and the clean up crew contacted me asking if I could take him. Poor rat was black, but ended up being a beautiful beige self. He sadly didn't live with us long, a very large tumor took him from us. I then adopted 2 brothers and a father from Maritime Rat Rescue, drove another 10h round trip to get them. Then it was random rescues here and there of single boys who needed a home (and a friend). I have owned 14 boys since 2009, I still have 5.

The ones I have now are Ash, Loki and Bobby. Ash and Loki were left over boys that got too big for someone to feed their snake. Friend of my fiance at work asked him if he could take them. We had to pretend to be snake owners to get the boys because the owner didn't want them to go as pets. I've done worst things to get a pet out of a bad situation lol They came home last Christmas, best boys ever. Bobby was rescued from my local SPCA with his cage mate, an African Soft Fur Mouse named Chuck. Chuck passed away this summer and Bobby moved in with Loki and Ash.

Bobby:

Loki:

Ash:

The other two are Jimmy and Stitch. I was talking with a lady online about her two rats she needed to find a home for. She was sleeping on a cousins sofa because she couldn't move into her house with them. Before we could finalize taking them in, she lost her net and we didn't have eachothers numbers. She ended up taking them to the pet store. Thankfully we came in the next day and there they were, and we took them home. I sent her a nice email telling her we did get them and they are safe. She was SO happy when she got the email. I did end up paying a pet store for them, but now that I'm not on the Shack, I don't have anyone making me feel like mulm for doing it.

I don't have a pic of Jimmy and Stitch on photobucket.. but here's their home :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:00 PM   #12 
LyzzaRyzz

Wow! your boys are so adorable!
I wish i could do long distance rescues, but I dont have a car, and my parents would never drive that far for a rat! Theyd say just get one from a store...they dont understand lol

The one from the fire, thats amazing...im so happy he got to live his days out with you..do you think the smoke from the fire is a cause for the tumor?

Have you had females? I notice yours are all boys..Id love to get a boy, but theres no vets around here that will spay/nueter..=[ Id absolutely love to have boy/girl pairs, but right now thats not possible..

And i notice you use the stacking bins as houses, i do the same thing! Thier so cheap, and you can easily cut holes in them for double. triple, floor houses!
LyzzaRyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:03 PM   #13 
LyzzaRyzz

And what amazing luck at going to the pet store right after they were dropped off! And kudos to the girl sleeping on her friends couch cause of her rats..Ive done the same thing. At one point i was homeless with three rats, and we loved in a car because in new jersey, few landlords allowed rats. But my babies are just what they are, My Babies, and ive gladly gone without to get them food, and toys and things they need.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

Honestly, I think the smoke inhalation could have caused the tumor. We don't know how old Shai was, but I have never had another male with a tumor. Poor little guy was in the apartment when the fire broke out and he was sitting in a cage full of water from the sprinklers. The woman moved out and told the clean up crew to toss him outside. They fed him for a week with their lunches until they found me. He was never a fan of other rats, so he lived alone and spent every night out on the sofa with us :)

Shai:

My sister actually helped me with the three boys, she drove me half way to pick them up :) My family is very supportive of animal rescue and transport. Actually, last April I went to another province by boat (15h out at sea in a storm) and then took him 2hs to my Mom's and she drove him 6h to the next person. He ended up going from St John, Newfoundland to Montreal, Quebec! This year we have helped 5 cats with transport :)

I only have boys, as a rule. No unwanted litters here! Our vet does neuters but not spays :( I don't much care for female rats though, I find them very flighty and hyper, where my boys are loveble hams that sleep on my lap and love cuddles. I do however help when females need a temp place to stay. I babysat two sister for a month, and rescues 3 females from the SPCA that stayed with me for a month while I found them a home. I ended up giving someone my Martins ferret cage so they could adopt them :P

Good for you, putting your babies first! I haven't had to be in the position, but I am sure I would do the same thing. I actually hit a rough spot once where I didn't eat for 3 weeks because I fed my pets instead. The things we do hey? ;)
Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #15 
LyzzaRyzz

Wow, I wish my family was that supportive! Once were living on our own, i plan on fostering, and helping out, but as of now, im at my limit of animals..lol

Ive always had girls, save one male, but he got loose one time, and was loose for two weeks, in the basement i was living in..i searched everywhere, everyday, and finally found the poor thing under the pooltable amid boxes, surrounded by the heads of mice. Apparently, it was what he was eating, and defending himself from those two weeks..i honestly had figured hed gotten outside, cause the food i was leaving wasnt touched..He was never the same again, and frequently attacked, but I left him to himself, until one day i found him passed, curled in a little ball.

Ive heard that males are more cuddly, but my females have always cuddled. I wish there was a spay/neuter vet near me, cause id love to have a fat ball of love boy...lol

My Creature was like Shai, never really cared for other rats, and needed to always dominate, and was generally crabby towards others, and honestly just loved to be with me. Sitting, cuddling, rididng in my pocket or my shoulder..I took her to school with me, and my proffessors all loved her, and some never even realized she was there!
Old 01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #16 
Bombalurina

I've got my 5 fat boys, though sadly my oldest boys are now 25 months and Hyde seems to be developing a tumour. Hopefuly the vet will be able to tell me on Monday for sure. Chances are it is benign, but I don't know if I want to risk surgery for my fat man. Just imagining life without his gorgeous furry face absolutely breaks my heart, though. I wish they lived longer. I want 20 years with my boys!

When the sad inevitable happens, though, I am going to neuter Richelieu, D'Artagnan and Willoughby, get a hairless girl from my breeder friends and have her spayed, and have them all live together. One of the reasons I want a hairless is because the nakies these girls breed are SO gentle. They brought over their 10-week-old nakie girl for a visit, and at that age she should have been climbing the walls. Instead, she spent an hour curled up asleep on my shoulder, gently holding the chain of my necklace in her little paws. I very nearly didn't let them take her away again. :p Also, with all my rats desexed I would be able to adopt both genders from the RSPCA. I adore my boys and I will never choose girls OVER boys, but I would love to have a mix. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:29 PM   #17 
BettaMommy531rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingPrincess View Post
A good forum for information is 'The Rat Shack'. I am just a lurker there though,because I find people there can sometimes be condescending.

I don't know of anymore RAT only forums,because the main one I used (RMCA) seemed to of closed down. I cannot find it anymore. There is also 'Goosemoose', but I find that is similar to 'The Rat Shack'.
Sorry you feel that way. You shouldn't feel like you have to hide from all these crazy betta people (myself included). We just care for the fish alot and we may come across harsh when trying to be helpful.
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #18 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I would highly suggest against The Rat Shack, 100% hands down. The forum is full of better than thou members, very cliquish, and unless you have top of the line products and feed the best of the best, you're picked apart. I was a member for a few years on there, and it got the the point where I had to leave. Heaven forbid you have a different opinion than a Mod (who all know each other personally), they will tear you apart. The last issue that went on there was a bunch of them calling the local SPCA on a woman and telling them she was a puppy mill so they would go to her house and remove her pet rats. And also, the Admin and Mods were caught talking about members and making fun of them in the private area of the forum. 100% would not recommend this forum. My nickname is the same on there, I have nothing to hide.

As far as that, I have not found a great rat forum. I would never join Goosemoose as they kinda promote rat breeding/breeders and seeing as I only support rescue.... blah.

Good luck.
I only recommend that forum for info. I actually have not been on there in awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
Sorry you feel that way. You shouldn't feel like you have to hide from all these crazy betta people (myself included). We just care for the fish alot and we may come across harsh when trying to be helpful.
Oh no,wasn't talking about this forum...was talking about lurking on The Rat Shack! I actually like this forum...

Last edited by dramaqueen; 01-31-2012 at 05:55 PM.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:19 PM   #19 
VikingPrincess

I have had rats now about 11+ yrs or so. I started out with girls and loved them, but my very first male rat was a big boy named Saukrates. What a big mushy ball of love! I totally fell for males now and now I prefer the males.

Currently have 6 boys and 2 girls. The girls are a lot more hyper and active then my boys, but Caoimhe is an especially sweet girl and she gives kisses. My girls though are not inclined to sit with me while I am on the computer or watching TV/movie...the boys will. The boys will curl up with me...such cuties.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

I just adore my boys! Years ago, I had 60 rats at once, way over my head. But I had males and females (never had a single litter born at my home) and I loved the girls personalities, but they were so independent. I like the boys cause they depend on me lol I guess that's why I'm a dog person, not a cat person per say. After these boys, I'm done for a while. If I ever get into rats again, 3 is my max lol They are expensive to vet here. A simple URI can run up to $300. Euth is $160 :(