Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #1 
RyuAndMoyashi

Question Betta fins?

So I was all happy about the tank upgrade I should be getting next weekend and spent sometime STARING at Ryu. I noticed his fins look "off." I'm not sure how to describe it. The dorsal fin has some small dark spots I didn't notice before. More noticeable is the slight curvature and thinned look to some of his lower fin and the one "curling" piece on his dorsal. Is this a sign of anything? Why is it occurring? Should I be concerned (how concerned)? What can I do to correct this if it is a problem?
He's still active, well colored, and a hungry pig.
See attached images! (Best I could get as Ryu likes to keep moving on me).
Attached Images

RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 
Silverfang

by curling, do you mean it looks like parts of his fins are sorta... uhm, crinkled? I have a boy who has his rays that are "off" on his anal fin. They curl and look sort of like the spiral of a sea shell. I've seen it in varying degrees from just a slightly wavy look, to the point it is actually separating his fin.

Edit: I just wanted to say, your boy has the EXACT same colouring as my boy, down to the what I call red velvet streaks. Just wondering, has your boy ever suffered fin damage? Or bitten his fins?

Last edited by Silverfang; 01-29-2012 at 12:14 AM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:24 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Is Ryu a halfmoon? If he's a halfmoon, I would say his fins are just growing. Sometimes as halfmoons grow, their tails just get bigger and bigger and eventually start to curl and fold in on themselves. Mine has done that.

If he's not an HM, I would check the parameters of your water. When some of the params get too high, curling can occur.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #4 
SwimmR

Looks normal to me. The little spots, especially on the dorsal fin, are normal. You may notice them more when the fish is stressed and his color is faded. The curling of the fins may be due to poor water quality before you got him.
SwimmR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM   #5 
RyuAndMoyashi

Yeah, He's a half moon. Good to know this may just be normal. He had fin damage when I got him and chewed down quite a bit when I first left him alone for a day. Now he doesn't chew on them anymore. They are growing back and this is the longest I have seen them. So, perhaps you're right and it's just the way they're growing in. I'll keep a close eye on him for a couple of days to be sure. :)
Side note: Silverfang - His colors surprised me. When I got him he was a PALE blue with faded red. After moving into the tank in 2 days time he deepened up and all those shades and highlights showed up.
RyuAndMoyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Okay. Yeah, my halfmoon started out with beautiful smooth fins and now, over 6 months later they're curled and almost fringed because they grew so much.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curling, fin, spots