Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 06:51 PM   #1 
cjayBetta

Exclamation Just bought a Marimo Moss Ball. Questions

Kay so I bought this moss ball at the pet store this evening and Im not sure what to do with it first. I know I cant just plop it in the tank with coco right away...

How do I check if there are snails on it?
How do I know if there are diseases on it?
What do I do to make sure there are no diseases on it before I put it in my tank?

Once it is in my tank:

What do I do to keep it alive???
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 
Draug Isilme

What you want to do first to make sure there aren't any diseases or snails is quarantine it. It's better to keep it in a cup of regular tap water for a week, as the chlorine will kill off anything and the marimo is durable enough to widthstand the water. If you want to take an extra precaution, then you can quarantine it for another week in dechlorinated water to make absolutely sure...
You can either give it indirect sunlight for lighting, or you can use a bulb adequate enough for plants- 6500k is the best and make sure that the bulb has at least 2 watts per gallon. Make sure you give 8-12 hours max of light, as plants quit photosynthesizing when they reach their maximum time of 12 hours- it's better to start out at 8 hours and aclimate it to a specific time schedule to find that sweet spot for your marimo and/or any other plants you have. I find that the minimum amount of times you should rinse your marimo is once a week- which you just rinse in regular tap water; wash off the debris and squeeze to make sure any gases that build up are no longer in it. That should be about it, but *shrugs* some moss balls are more durable, others seem slightly more pickier than others xD Good luck with your moss ball! I'm sure you'll take great care of it and it'll do just fine ^.~
Draug Isilme is offline   Reply With Quote