Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #31 
wallywestisthebest333

I think they said earlier that it held 2.5? I've seen 2.5 and 3 gallon models like that. I've also heard that the light is hot. Someone claimed it burned their fish but I never saw evidence.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #32 
Dragonii

Ah, ok. I missed that earlier.

If it's 2.5 gallons it's not a bad size. The undergravel could be pulled out and an internal filter could be put in it.
Dragonii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #33 
FinneyFin

It's a 2.5 as far as I know. I bought it from a guy on Craigslist with the heater,food,water condtioner and gravel. ($20) He actually lived down the street from me so I just picked it up.Pretty cool,I thought it was fate! haha.He got a new tank.He has alot of experience in tropical fish keeping,so we exchanged email addresses.I have no idea what it is though,it kinda looks like other tanks online,but not exactly the same. I rarely turn on the light,Moonlight hates it.He goes crazy.

Thank you Dragonii,I didn't think of that! I'm going to do that since I don't use the light.I will get way more space,since the under gravel filter is raised off the bottom of the tank. I also do not like how the gravel gets stuck on the side,it's not attractive. Anyone have a recommendation on a filter?? Sorry so detailed,I just wanted to share my story! =)
FinneyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:28 PM   #34 
Dragonii

Depends on if you want an air driven filter or a powered internal filter.
Cheap, air driven sponge filter. You could run it off of your air pump that you already have.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Aquarium-Fil...item3cc08e9f9a

I use one of these in my 3 gallon cube. It's worked well for a while now. Petsmart sells them for about $15. They also sell replacement filters for it but yu don't need them. Just pull the bottom off and clean the sponge in some dechlorinated water.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #35 
wallywestisthebest333

Yeah I hear that's a good filter. =] Just make sure to cycle your tank or the filter will be pointless. =] Glad everything worked out! Oh! And a way to test the tank's volume is to get a couple of gallon jugs that used to have spring water in them, fill them up, and pour them into the tank. if you can pour 2 and a half jugs worth of water in then it's a 2.5. =] Good luck with your tank!
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:02 PM   #36 
BlueShark

I am new to bettas but I got a Christmas present for myself that I just LOVE! Here's a link to the tank I bought:
http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1
It was on sale for $38 when I got it and I ordered a couple other things to get free shipping. I love that it is quite wide so it has a lot of swimming/viewing area but it's only 8 inches deep (plus the filter on the back) and not all that tall. Once I found the right spot for the filter adjustment, it's nearly silent (at some settings it had some air leakage and made noise that bugged me). I got a Hydor Theo adjustable thermometer that really works well. Really love this setup for it's place in my kitchen but a lot depends on what you like and the space you have. Good luck!
BlueShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM   #37 
Dragonii

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShark View Post
I am new to bettas but I got a Christmas present for myself that I just LOVE! Here's a link to the tank I bought:
http://www.petco.com/product/14978/P...sultRedirect=1
It was on sale for $38 when I got it and I ordered a couple other things to get free shipping. I love that it is quite wide so it has a lot of swimming/viewing area but it's only 8 inches deep (plus the filter on the back) and not all that tall. Once I found the right spot for the filter adjustment, it's nearly silent (at some settings it had some air leakage and made noise that bugged me). I got a Hydor Theo adjustable thermometer that really works well. Really love this setup for it's place in my kitchen but a lot depends on what you like and the space you have. Good luck!
That is a great little tank. It should be marketed directly for bettas, it's pretty much perfect.
I had one, only reason I got rid of it was because it got a couple of scratches and at this point in my life I feel the need for perfection in my tanks. I can't keep as many as I would like so the few that I do have must be spot on. I sold it and built a glass tank to replace it.

Couple of tips... add some bio media to the filter and if you gently pull the top rim off you can run some black electrical tape along the top edge, then put the rim back on... this extends the black rim look down just far enough to hide the visible water line. If you fill the tank too much it will leak. This is caused by the fact the water will get under the rim and begin to "siphon" out. Easily preventable by not filling it up till it touches that rim. The black tape trick counters the need to leave the water level below the black trim.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:29 PM   #38 
Dragonii

Oh, and if you do find that you want to push it all the way back against a wall you can replace the filter with that Tom mini internal and do so.