Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 10:10 PM   #1 
DalekDYE

Exclamation Strange behavior

My new betta, P.K., has been going about his day normally, swimming, sleeping, chillin', etc., and for the past hour, he's been opening his mouth spontaneously for no apparent reason. What's wrong? I'm thinking my room might be too hot. I'm sweating right now. He stopped about a minute ago, but I'm still worried. I'll give a brief listing of my setup. Also, how do you post a sticky?

Tank: Bowl, only temporarily though.
Filtration: None, I used filtered drinking water though. I put in a splash of warm water to make the water just right. There are no minerals or anything. Just drinking water.
Heating: Whatever my room is. I try to keep it around 21-22C. (Around 70-73F).
Plants: One silk.
Food: Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
Toys: flaring exercise mirror (5 mins. max), bead and I sometimes try to get him to chase my finger.
That's all I can say for now.
DalekDYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #2 
HayrideHaunter

You just have to look at the sticky that is at the top of the board, and copy and paste the stuff there, then fill it out =)...this seems like a decent amount of info, but I'd still do that if you don't mind.

I think the biggest piece of advice you're gonna get is to put him in a bigger tank, preferably 2+gallons if you can. Filtration isn't absolutely necessary, but heat is. Bettas prefer 78-80F, so your room is a bit chilly it sounds like, as water is generally cooler than the air around it.

I'd try getting a bigger tank asap, with a cheapo thermometer and a heater. I'm personally unsure what the mouth thing could be, but the rest could have serious repercussions if you aren't careful!

Good luck with your guy!

EDIT: as far as your room being too hot, its definitely not if its 70-73F...bettas are tropical and prefer much warmer temperatures than that

Last edited by HayrideHaunter; 01-30-2012 at 10:17 PM.
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #3 
HayrideHaunter

Here's a link to the sticky: =)

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332
HayrideHaunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:17 PM   #4 
earthworm88

Here are the questions I have for you:
1) what is the size/volume of this bowl?
2) how often do you change the water and by how much?
3) when you say opening his mouth in the past hour, approx. how many times did you see him do it?

Bettas will occasionally open their mouths wide under water (like yawning) now and then and it's quite a normal behavior. However, if you see him keep doing it constantly, then it may indicate something else, like not getting enough oxygen or something may be happening to his gills or there may be ammonia/nitrite poisoning etc.

If you are sweating in your room, it doesn't sound like 72F to me. Get a thermometer for the bowl so you will know for sure what his temp is. Room temp (for all you know, your room temp gauge isn't accurate) may not be the same as water temp.

I know you say this is a temporary set up. If you are depending on your room temp (assuming it is 76F or above), I would suggest you get those spring water bottles or containers and age the water inside your room to keep them the same temp, so when you make water change, it is fast and easy, no need mixing cold or hold water trying to have the temp you want, which I think is risky when you don't have a thermometer to tell you if it is the right mix. You did not mention the use of conditioner. Do you use it, what brand? Why do you use drinking water? Any problems with your tap water? Our bettas need the minerals provided in the water as well.

Hayridehaunter had included the link for the sticky, just copy and paste, and answer those questions if you want.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:28 AM   #5 
DalekDYE

About twelve. He stopped now. I change his water completely (I have a temp. bowl for him) and the bowl hold about 1.5-2L (1/4-1/3 gallon approximately) I know bettas don't like tiny bowls. I'm putting money into a tank for him though.
DalekDYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM   #6 
earthworm88

I know what you mean. I had some temporary containers before that only holds 1/2 gallon. What is the most important thing we can do is to keep the water free of unwanted chemicals. While waiting for the bigger tanks, I just changed the water daily, thank goodness the young'uns are not the stress out type as they didn't seem to be bothered with the daily water change (unlike my oldest one). And now they have more freedom in their big houses

Don't mean to nag, but just want to stress:
1) regular tap water (assuming no bad levels of ammonia/nitrates etc
2) water conditioner (Seachem Prime if you are looking)
3) submersible thermometer
4) daily to every other day water changes if possible (keep aged water aside in same room) test kit will be helpful in this instance to know frequency of change

Happy betta keeping

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 PM   #7 
callistra

It sounds like he's just yawning and I wouldn't worry.

If your room is 70-73 he's living in 60s water which is freezing him. Agree that along with the larger tank (2.5g+) make sure to get a glass aquarium thermometer and good adjustable heater like a Marineland Visitherm or Hydor Theo.

I also agree don't use the filter water, just tap dechlorinated. At least test the ph of the water. Filtration does all sorts of things to the ph and a lot of that filtered water has ph that is way outside what a betta can live in.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, mouth, opening, sick?, urgent