Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #161 
Pitluvs

I sew my own :) I have bought from rat rescues who use the profits to help with their rescues, but I find it cheaper to make my own. I usually make cubes, flats, pouches, tunnels and double decker types. Try making cubes out of old jeans, so sturdy and my rats LOVE them. Sadly, I have a huge box full of material but my kids broke my sewing machine :*( So, I bought a new sewing machine for my Mom for Christmas so I'm sending all my material to her to make me hammocks LOL
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #162 
Bombalurina

Yesterday, my mum offered to clean my cage for me since I am sick. She put on rubber gloves (I scoffed at her for being fussy), and got started. She paused to try and stroke Jekyll, and suddenly my docile, sweet, pretty, gentle, boggly cuddle-bug turned into a savage beast who latched onto her finger.

I'd forgotten to warn her that Jekyll is very scared of gloves. :p He would never bite an ungloved finger, but big thick rubber gloves make him very nippy. That is, in fact, the first time he has ever bitten - previously he's given my socked toes warning nips (he doesn't like socks, either), but this was unprecedented. I think it may have been the size of the gloves.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #163 
BettaMommy531rip

Sorry to butt in, but do any of you know any good rat breeders in VA? Or any rat breeders who ship to VA? My local petstore has rats, but they only have black, red eyed white, and the occasional black hooded. They also only carry boys. Not that I don't like boys, but I'm looking for a bit of coat variation. Thanks. :)
BettaMommy531rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #164 
Bombalurina

I can't help with the breeders, but do you have any local shelters? Three of my boys are from the RSPCA and they are beautiful. :)
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #165 
undergunfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMommy531rip View Post
Sorry to butt in, but do any of you know any good rat breeders in VA? Or any rat breeders who ship to VA? My local petstore has rats, but they only have black, red eyed white, and the occasional black hooded. They also only carry boys. Not that I don't like boys, but I'm looking for a bit of coat variation. Thanks. :)
The AZ breeder that I got mine from ships, but I know it's costly! You may have better luck finding a breeder in a bordering state if there aren't any in VA.
undergunfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 01:13 AM   #166 
Bombalurina

Just re-arranged the cage. Now it kind of looks like one of those European streets lined with apartments with washing strung between them because of the way I've arranged the shelves. Hopefully it will help Hyde and his dreadful back legs to climb to the top more easily.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 AM   #167 
Pitluvs

I gotta second the rescue/shelter option, mine are all rescues and amazing pet rats :) I'm not a fan of breeders AT ALL lol

What's up with Hyde's back legs? HED?
Old 01-31-2012, 05:06 PM   #168 
VikingPrincess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso1011 View Post
I think I got one of my beddings mixed up when I said that. I never knew that about corncob bedding. I just know I had seen it listed as a bedding type for small animals. I'll make sure not to ever try that. Thanks for the info.
Thats okay and no problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyzzaRyzz View Post
They are doing amazing..They love me and my boyfriend, though Arya is much more of an explorer than Varys..it may have to do with Varys being hairless? Anyone have comments?
It is probably just her personality. Some rats are much more of an explorer then others, especially girlies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Holy all over the place on topics Batman! Guys, please could you keep this Ratties topic on topic? haha I am all for any small animal, but I enjoy chatting about rats in rat threads :P
Yes. I was gone for days and came back to pages and pages of non rat related stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
I gotta second the rescue/shelter option, mine are all rescues and amazing pet rats :) I'm not a fan of breeders AT ALL lol

What's up with Hyde's back legs? HED?
Why aren't you a fan of breeders? There are GOOD and responsible ones out there. I know some personally.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #169 
Pitluvs

I'm a fan of Ethical Breeders and sadly there are very few. I cannot think of any in Canada myself. Ethical is much different than Responsible. There's a huge problem out there with homeless animals (rats)... Anyways, the big difference is Ethical breeders only breed to better their lines, and find suitable homes for those who don't fit their breeding standards. They also have few litters. They also spend money on breeding, never making a profit. Breeding out health issues is a huge must. I have yet to come across any that do this. Please keep in mind, I'm a supporter and adopter of Maritime Rat Rescue, I adopt pets (except for my last two from the pet store that were owner surrenders I couldn't get before they were dropped off). I don't support any breeding really, unless it's for a purpose (and not to make money or have cute babies)
Old 01-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #170 
VikingPrincess

Yeah,there are none in Canada that I am aware of. There was a lady here in NFLD some yrs ago, got some rats off her...but she ended up leaving the province and I believe she gave up breeding sue to having a baby.

The ones I am talking about are in the states. Also I know of a few breeders who only breed for colors...I have seen people avoiding varieties like Siamese, hoodeds and the 'common' colors to get things like merle, blue, lilac, chocolate...ya know,the fancy ones. I have bit of a problem with that. I love all rats and do have a merle rat, but some people are more concerned with color and fancy-ness then temperament and health.
VikingPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote