Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-29-2012, 05:31 PM   #1 
fishcurl

Algae = yicky

Does anyone know how to deal with algae in the tank? There's this thin sheet-like green algea growing on the walls and wherever it can attach to. Almost like a green veil. It's a pretty bright green and would be lovely except for the fact that it's algae

Every tank change I clean off the glass walls and try to wipe/scoop it off anything else it's growing on (tips of live plants and all over the one fake plant that's in there). Alas, it keeps coming back.

Tank: 5 gallon Marineland Eclipse
Live Plants: clump of Java fern, x2 piddly wisteria sprigs, java swords, x2 moss balls
Occupant: 1 betta
Heated: yes, at ~79

Running since August 2011. I do 50% changes once a week.

Any help would be most appreciated :)
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #2 
EvilVOG

Does it smell bad?

is it trying to cover your plants along with forming sheets on walls? Kinda like a spiderweb, with air bubbles trapped in it?

If yes, it sounds like you have Blue-green Algae. I'm fighting it in my breeding tank atm. Here's a link to my thread looking for help, kind of different situation tho as i can't treat it chemically, or the other way to remove it i read about, 4 days of complete darkness.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=91880

Like that eclipse tank, my avatar Betta is in a 3 gallon Eclipse
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #3 
wnppmy

Might check your lighting, too close to direct sunlight, lengthy lighting periods, etc. I just finished an experiment with betta in an unfiltered bowl, actually did rather well, but used light also as heater for simplistic setup, but did have several algae blooms with exteneded lighting periods. My case did more water changes even a few without conditioner and did clear things up at last This was not done traditionally at all, again a very fun informative experiment for me. Recheck you whole setup see if too much light etc or other issues going on.
wnppmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:39 PM   #4 
EvilVOG

Well, if it is BGA, it's actually not an algae at all even tho it's named as such. And while slightly dependent on light, it's not caused by it. Out of 6 tanks i only have it in one of them, and they pretty much all have the same lighting/ photoperiod.
EvilVOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #5 
scootshoot

Algae is good! One of the first physical signs your tank is at the last stages of cycling.
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:54 PM   #6 
fishcurl

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone. After your comments, I'm thinking the culprit is too much light. The tank does get ambient light from a north-facing window 10 feet away, but the biggest light comes from the tank itself - I tend to leave it on for a good 12 hours if not a bit more. I turn it on when I get up and turn it off when I go to bed at night.

Yeaaaah....so that's probably my problem right there. My excuse was that with two fish tanks on one powerbar I didn't have room for the timers to plug in. However, I could get another powerbar and problem would be solved.

EvilVOG - oh, I'm so sorry to hear BGA has invaded your tanks. That's totally sucky :/

It doesn't smell bad, which is good.

I went looking for pics and found hair algae seems to be the closest match:

Though I'm not 100% sure on the ID because it's growing on the walls, too. There is a green film on the top of the water as well. Initial research tells me these aren't hair algae attributes, but it could be the sources I found just don't mention it. Anyone have experience with this type of algae?

Thanks again!
fishcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:58 PM   #7 
fraviz

Try to reduce the light. and work it from there
fraviz is offline   Reply With Quote