Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 06:38 PM   #1 
AmandanFlynn

Question How much should my new Betta Fish be eating??

I just got my first Betta Fish and have been doing some reading. Some say to feed every other day, some feed every day others every 3 days.

Also how much should he be eating? I usually feed 2-3 pellets, a large betta flake broke in 2-3 and 2-3 bloodworms and then the next day 2 pellets...ect

He always seems so hungry! Will/can they eat themselves to dead or am I not feeding him enough?

What/how much do you feed and how often?

Thanks! There is a picture of him in his tank in the "keepers" forum if interested!
AmandanFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #2 
copperarabian

They will definitely eat until they die, I've seen some extremely stuffed bettas and had one of my own tear it's own stomach open(luckily it survived).

It's generally recommended that you feed 4 betta pellets a day, I have a couple larger males that I feed 2 extra at night. And when I have king bettas who are very large I'll feed them 5 in the morning and 5 in the evening.
copperarabian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:55 PM   #3 
Roxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandanFlynn View Post
I just got my first Betta Fish and have been doing some reading. Some say to feed every other day, some feed every day others every 3 days.

Also how much should he be eating? I usually feed 2-3 pellets, a large betta flake broke in 2-3 and 2-3 bloodworms and then the next day 2 pellets...ect

He always seems so hungry! Will/can they eat themselves to dead or am I not feeding him enough?

What/how much do you feed and how often?

Thanks! There is a picture of him in his tank in the "keepers" forum if interested!
You should feed your betta every day, and fast them for one day per week.

How much you feed your betta depends on your betta's size and pellet size.

In average, it should be about 2 pellets twice a day. You can however, feed them once a day ( 4 pellets ) but I prefer having 2 different feeding times. It's really up to you.

Last edited by Roxy; 01-31-2012 at 06:58 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:56 PM   #4 
AmandanFlynn

Flynn is a crowntail I believe. So would 2 pellets, 2 bloodworms and a flake every day be good (with a fast once a week)?
The pellets are just regular betta pellets made by Omega One.

Last edited by AmandanFlynn; 01-31-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #5 
Roxy

Quote:
Flynn is a crowntail I believe. So would 2 pellets, 2 bloodworms and a flake every day be good (with a fast once a week)?
I wouldn't recommend feeding your betta bloodworms every day. It should be about twice a week at most.

If your betta readily accept pellets, I would recommend feeding pellets instead of flakes since flakes tend to make em' bloat.

It's great knowing you're feeding your betta omega one... :) they're one of the better food out there.

http://www.bettatalk.com/food.htm

Last edited by Roxy; 01-31-2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:13 PM   #6 
AmandanFlynn

Roxy,

Thanks! Bloodworms will be saved as a treat, I will give those only once or twice a week.

I shouldnt feed ANY flakes?? Not even Omega One Betta flakes?

Also when I go out of town for the weekend (only a couple times a year for some conventions/assemblies) will he be ok not eating for 3-4 days? I know the vacation pellets make the water turn icky so if he is ok to fast for that long i would prefer not to use them...
Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #7 
Roxy

Quote:
Roxy,

Thanks! Bloodworms will be saved as a treat, I will give those only once or twice a week.

I shouldnt feed ANY flakes?? Not even Omega One Betta flakes?

Also when I go out of town for the weekend (only a couple times a year for some conventions/assemblies) will he be ok not eating for 3-4 days? I know the vacation pellets make the water turn icky so if he is ok to fast for that long i would prefer not to use them...
You can feed your betta flakes if you'd like, but just be careful not to overfeed him. If you have the time, soak the flakes in tank water for a minute or two. ( on a separate container )

Your betta should be fine not eating for 3-4 days during your vacation. If possible... have someone feed him while you're away. :D
Old 01-31-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 
AmandanFlynn

OK thanks Roxy!
Old 01-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #9 
Roxy

No problem. :)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #10 
Rosso1011

Quote:
I use Omega One pellets as well and I generally give 3-4 pellets 2x a day. Omega One is a fairly small pellet so I stick with the 3-4 rule with the fasting once a week. I've never used flake with my boy, so I cannot give you any advice on that.
Rosso1011 is offline   Reply With Quote