Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM   #1 
LittleBettas

Driving me CRAZY!!!! (new tailbitter)

Im going to try to get pictures later (the only camera I have is attached to my BFs phone and he is not home right now).. but Orpheus has started tailbiting
My older boy Flagg has finally stopped chewing of his WHOLE tail (he just chews the tip now) and now Orpheus has decided to shred his gorgeous tail... Im SO stressed out, he has been in his own 3 gallon tank (view blocked from other bettas) and after his water change lastnight he started... then when I got back from class today.... I have NO clue what to do
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #2 
Roxy

I don't really know how to deal with tail biters either... but I had one betta in the past that would bite his tail off til' there was close to nothing.

After he passed away, I gave up on long finned betta's... D:

I was seriously itching on getting a long finned HM on aquabid... but I don't want to risk on having another tail biter. :(

Last edited by Roxy; 01-31-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Roxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #3 
LittleBettas

I just can't figure out what started it... its driving me crazy, same routine as ALWAYS, nothing has changed but for some reason he decided to do this... Im hoping this is just a phase and he'll stop like Flagg did... fingers crossed :-/
Old 01-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #4 
Myates

You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out.

I got a new boy a while back- very active, very young. I believe after his second water change he started biting his fins and continues to do so. I had also added a new plant and new substrate at the time.. It's sad.. he's a handsome little dalmation, very active, alert and loves to watch and react to what is going on in the room around him. For mine, it may be that he stresses too much during a water change, or that the new decorations stressed him out and he hasn't kicked the habit of tail biting.. but I'm not for sure.
There really is no "cure" for it.. you can try rearranging, if his tank is sparse possibly add in some more decorations to give him more mental stimulation. Otherwise, only thing you can do for sure is make sure to keep up on the weekly water changes to keep him from developing fin rot.

It really is a shame when they do that, but don't be too discouraged, he may grow out of it one day and stop.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #5 
thekoimaiden

I have a boy who just started tail-biting. He's a super delta and has the longest tail of all my bettas (lol I forgot he is actually the one in my sig). One odd solution that worked with another one of my bettas who took to shredding his fins was to add floating toys. I have a floating feeding ring that seems to offer him endless entertainment. I have also heard you can use floating water bottle tops as another distraction. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

I love the flowing looks of long tailed bettas, but man have I been having some trouble with tail biting recently.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #6 
MJK87

My halfmoon had a horrible tail biting issue after I moved him to a 5 gallon tank. I moved him back to a 2.5 gallon and it stopped. Its growing back nicely now but I wonder if it will ever look as good as it did when I got him.
MJK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #7 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out.

I got a new boy a while back- very active, very young. I believe after his second water change he started biting his fins and continues to do so. I had also added a new plant and new substrate at the time.. It's sad.. he's a handsome little dalmation, very active, alert and loves to watch and react to what is going on in the room around him. For mine, it may be that he stresses too much during a water change, or that the new decorations stressed him out and he hasn't kicked the habit of tail biting.. but I'm not for sure.
There really is no "cure" for it.. you can try rearranging, if his tank is sparse possibly add in some more decorations to give him more mental stimulation. Otherwise, only thing you can do for sure is make sure to keep up on the weekly water changes to keep him from developing fin rot.

It really is a shame when they do that, but don't be too discouraged, he may grow out of it one day and stop.

I remobed a BUNCH of his stuff when I first started noticing it... I though at first one of the decorations was shredding his tail... his tail isn't that long so I don't think it's because of that, I have some indian almond leaves on order and once they arrive Im going to add a few to his tank to see if that helps him :-/
Old 02-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekoimaiden View Post
I have a boy who just started tail-biting. He's a super delta and has the longest tail of all my bettas (lol I forgot he is actually the one in my sig). One odd solution that worked with another one of my bettas who took to shredding his fins was to add floating toys. I have a floating feeding ring that seems to offer him endless entertainment. I have also heard you can use floating water bottle tops as another distraction. I'm going to give that a try tomorrow.

I love the flowing looks of long tailed bettas, but man have I been having some trouble with tail biting recently.

All of my males have the floating caps in their tanks... other than Jackpot using it as an anchor for blowing bubbles, everyone else seems to really ignore them :-/
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM   #9 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJK87 View Post
My halfmoon had a horrible tail biting issue after I moved him to a 5 gallon tank. I moved him back to a 2.5 gallon and it stopped. Its growing back nicely now but I wonder if it will ever look as good as it did when I got him.
Hercules, one of my walmart rescues was like that, after his fins started growing nicely (he was placed in another bettas cup at Walmart) I decided to upgrade him from his 1.5 gallon QT to a 3 gallon and he took the opportunity to SHRED his tail, he's now has a perm. place in one of the QT tanks and seems to REALLY enjoy it.... his fins have grown back, but in some places they kinked up :-/