Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #1 
SpookyTooth

Fishless cycle - wanting to check the facts

I've been doing a fishless cycle in my 14 gallon long aquarium using the fish food method... things seem okay so far but I wanted to double check a couple of things so I can make sure I don't mess up my cycle and can tell when it's completed. I'd also like to mention that I added a mature sponge from our year old downstairs aquarium to the filter and have two bacteria cultures that were used as well.

I've done a lot of research but just wanted to clarify a couple of things. I understand that the purpose of a cycle is to establish a colony of beneficial bacteria that converts ammonia to nitrite which is then converted to nitrate. Of course these things need to be tested for... introducing my partner in "crime": the API Master Test Kit, which I will use to test the water every day. If I am understanding correctly...

At first I should get a reading of ammonia, which will gradually rise. It will spike and after should gradually begin to fall as nitrites rise in its place.

After a while the nitrite levels should peak and then gradually start to fall as nitrates become apparent.

Once ammonia and nitrites reach 0ppm and nitrates are being read at a consistant level the cycle is complete.

Is the above correct? Is there anything I've missed or gotten wrong? I did a water test today and got the following results:

Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrites - 2.0 ppm
Nitrates - 10 ppm

My results confused and worried me a little, I suppose I'm looking for reassurance as to whether or not these readings are normal during a cycle and if there is anything I need to do to lower/increase the readings further. Do I need to do any form of water changes during the cycle or is it better to leave well alone until its complete? I'm sorry for asking a question that may have been asked countless times as well.
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #2 
registereduser

I did a few 50% changes during my cycling process, I believe both ammonia and nitrites should always be at 0. It takes about a month but maybe shorter for you since you were able to introduce bacteria from another tank.

HA! Listen to me, now I'm an expert *preens*
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:17 PM   #3 
Bombalurina

Registered: during a fishless cycle ammonia and nitrites should both spike. If they are always at zero and never spike, your tank is not cycled.

Spooky: Your levels are fine. Just keep feeding the tank til you get the readings you need, then do a final water change. :) Don't do any water changes til then unless you overdose the tank.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 
registereduser

They spiked, now they are at 0. Will they spike again? Even with 50% water changes once a week?
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:43 AM   #5 
Bombalurina

No, they shouldn't spike again unless you have an accident like adding too many fish at once. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:45 AM   #6 
SpookyTooth

Thank you very much for the responses! That's good to know. Going to feed the tank again this morning and test the water this evening.

Take care!
SpookyTooth is offline   Reply With Quote