Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #21 
elegantlyunsophisticated

they can be jumpers, so get a lid! Mine also likes to race along the long side of my 55g :D they're really inquisitive and he won't shy away from my hand when I'm in there doing stuff. They enjoy hanging out on the bottom and chilling out on the surface (mine will float around like a boat, then go explore the bottom for a while). They rarely hide and like to "walk" about the bottom with those big fins. They can survive out of water for a short period of time, as they have a primitive lung type thing. I'll attach a piccie of mine too, he's awesome! Very entertaining, always hungry, and absolutely BOMBPROOF. Mine went through a heater malfunction, an ich outbreak (not a spot on him), and a brief stint in a bucket (only like 2 days, but still).
Attached Images

elegantlyunsophisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #22 
elegantlyunsophisticated

can you tell they were just fed in that pic? DX lol there's pellets EVERYWARR.
my little Omnom is a camera hog as you can clearly see, if you look at that bridge in the back you can see he's only 6.5 inches or so. He's been that size for months (with more than adequate housing and tons of noms) so I don't know how much bigger he'll get. He only seems to be getting wider rather than longer :D post a pic when you get one! I love senegals XD
Old 02-01-2012, 12:59 AM   #23 
emeraldsky

SO CUTE *A*

They slow down growth at about 6 inches i believe so he's probably still growing, just really slowly

I totally will, I found an LPS that is selling them for like 5$

Im thinking ill get an albino one, i love the light color 8D
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:22 AM   #24 
elegantlyunsophisticated

thanks! I really love the little guy, he's a troublemaker but it's worth it. The albinos are cute! Mine's not an albino but he's relatively light colored. He lives with African cichlids, a catfish, a loach, and bala shark. Everyone's getting along great, nothing smaller than a platy survives though. Mine gets a kick out of exploring the rocks I have piled up in the tank.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #25 
Sakura8

Elegantly, he's adorable! I love his little face.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:05 AM   #26 
Oscarfish789

hey i dont know if you got your senegal yet but its best to start it off in about a 29 gallon tank because mine could never find food in my 55 gallon and died as a result so best to start off in a smaller tank then move it to a bigger tank. and i kept mine with two baby oscar and two baby convicts so anything its size and temperment should be fine with it:)
Oscarfish789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:50 PM   #27 
emeraldsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarfish789 View Post
hey i dont know if you got your senegal yet but its best to start it off in about a 29 gallon tank because mine could never find food in my 55 gallon and died as a result so best to start off in a smaller tank then move it to a bigger tank. and i kept mine with two baby oscar and two baby convicts so anything its size and temperment should be fine with it:)
Thanks for the heads up!
Ill actually only have him in the tank (Maybe one other fish that gets fairly decent sized) and I'll be dropping food in front of him so I dont think this will be a problem. Ill be careful to make sure though!
emeraldsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #28 
elegantlyunsophisticated

thanks Sakura! He's a character :3
Oscarfish: I'm surprised you had that problem, mine is a living alternative to a gravel vacuum even in the cavernous 55g. He gets his own shrimp pellets (which are quickly swallowed whole) and then he roots around for other guys' dinner. Also, he greatly appreciates the occasional frozen brine shrimp or chopped prawns. I've kept tons of different fish with mine and as long as they are bigger than his head, you'll be fine. Maybe some bigger rainbows? He also couldn't care less about plants, he loves loafing around on the bigger leaves but salad is just not part of his lifestyle XP

Tags
senegal bichir