Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2012, 04:37 PM   #1 
dschuler

Please help! fungi on fins? pictures!

Hi,
I bought a betta a couple weeks ago and am worried about him. Over the past few weeks I've noticed that some kind of black something is growing on his fins. He's not acting any dfferently, but it has definitely been growing. I keep him in a simple fishbowl, I change the water every 7 days and feed him one pellet twice a day. I keep about 50% of the original water, and replace the rest with filtered water that I let sit out for a couple hours.

I took some pictures on my phone. Look for the black dots on the clear fins. It is very much so predominately on his right (what looks like our left) fin.

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1327962784
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1327962817
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1327962861
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1327962927

Any ideas would be appreciated!!!!
Attached Images

dschuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:52 PM   #2 
dormfish

The pictures are very dark, could you maybe get one that's a bit brighter for us to see?
Second, where did you buy him from?

3rd, please fill out this guy below, so we can help you better :)

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
dormfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #3 
cjayBetta

I think it might be a sign of old age... My betta coco got them at about the 8 month mark and he is now 1 year old and still has them.
cjayBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #4 
BETTACHKALOVE

You saying you keep him in the simple fishbowl it probably about 1 gall. You really need to do 100% water changes every about 4 days. I also using aged water for my bettas. You don't need to keep 50 % of his original water it would be not enough water changes.

Also you saying black something growing on his fins. Are you sure it not just coloration? I am not sure what it is and it not visible on the picture but make sure it not growing. You don't want to wait until he get lethargic.

Make sure you do more water changes for your tank :)

Is there any new symptoms developed or is it get bigger?
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #5 
Myates

Are you meaning the black coloration on his pectoral fins? Those could be his natural coloring.. as sometimes they change colors as they age, and sometimes they add "spots".

For a bowl that size, as mentioned above, a 100% water change every 4 days is okay to do, but recommended for that size unfiltered is 1 50% and 1 100% per week, using tap water and water conditioner. Water conditioners tend to work immediately, so there is no need to let it sit out. You won't want to use water that has gone through the filter as the filter removes beneficial nutrients they need- plain tap water and conditioner is all that is recommended.
Not enough water changes, and not enough water being changed brings on the risk of fin rot which will eat away the fins. It's hard to tell from that picture what exactly is going on if it's not the spots on his pectoral fins (the 2 small ones he uses to turn).

It looks to be possibly a 1 gallon, not filled all the way, and with a lot of substrate- if you don't mind me recommending that you make sure he has plenty of swimming space, plants and even a cave would be appreciated by them. They sell these guys in cups and they say they can live in them- but like every other fish they do have requirements and do prefer and are happier in places where they can hide in, sleep on leaves or in a cave.
Don't forget the heat, if you don't have a heater already as they are tropical fish and should be in temps of at least 76*F-82*F. Too cold of water will lower their immune system, slow their metabolism as well and in time they can become lethargic.
If he seems to just sit around most of the time, then I do highly recommend smaller/less substrate and some decorations, and heat- you will see a world of difference in their personality and energy.

Good luck!
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, fins, fungi, sick