Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-01-2012, 11:23 PM   #31 
bettalover2033

@Fasht: Yeah, I figured that might have been the issue as well. He could have been hungry nd decided he'd for got a nice snack. So this time I'm feeding him a ton and then see how this spawn will do. I have to feed him a bunch until his belly is full and plump.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #32 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Sorry about your spawn.
You can try artificial hatching them if the pair didn't finish all of them.

Better luck next time.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #33 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Sorry about your spawn.
You can try artificial hatching them if the pair didn't finish all of them.

Better luck next time.
How do I artificially hatch them? I have heard of it but never found a great source. Can you link me to a site, or maybe your own way of artificially hatching the fry?
Old 02-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #34 
Fasht

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...?articleid=886 here's a link from betty splendens.com
Fasht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:42 PM   #35 
bettalover2033

Thanks Fasht.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM   #36 
indjo
TFK Moderator

There are a number of ways you could do this.
Keep in mind the basic principle: good, healthy, and fertilized eggs WILL hatch regardless of care. The problem might be keeping fungus off.

MY METHOD
I use an ice cream bowl; a 1ltr oval plastic bowl or a round plastic cereal bowl (about 15cm in diameter). Put in about 1-2cm of water, carefully spoon the eggs into the bowl. Spread them as best I can - to avoid bad eggs ruining good eggs. (btw, eggs that have been picked up by the parents will float - IDKW). Then place the lid on top (not secured - so it's easy to take off without disturbing the eggs).

I don't need heaters. If temps are low and unstable (like now) I simply place it in a warm tank or place it my room. If you place it in a heated tank, make sure the bowl floats evenly (not tilt).

After 24-48 hours, they begin to hatch. I pick up the rotten eggs with a small stick like a tooth pick. Sometimes good eggs get caught in rotten eggs but will hatch so I don't immediately throw them away..... Then I slowly add 100% water to the previous water using a drip system ..... don't make the water drop. Make it "flow" from the side of the bowl. Hopefully this will reduce ammonia.

When they are free swimming, I acclimate to a grow out tank. Then release. The percentage of hatch depends on how good the eggs were in the first place. I've had 0% hatch. But have also had 100% hatch. My average is around 60%.

If all that is too troublesome, you could leave everything in the breeding tank - use lower water level (about 3" or so - actually this has little affect except it makes me feel better. LOL). Take out both parents when they're done spawning and hope for the best. ..... Good eggs will hatch. And strong fry will survive. But you might not get that many with this method, specially if you have tons of snails in there.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:49 PM   #37 
bettalover2033

Thanks Indjo! All of these bookmarks are going to make my computer slow lol. You should really make that a sticky. Maybe go into it and edit then make it a sticky.

I have always just used the natural way and I think as a breeder I should know how to do this in these kind of circumstances when betas just won't breed. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM   #38 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, it is helpful to know these things. I usually just learn through trial and error. Everyone has their own way to do things. This is only my method.
You can also use the "foster parent" method but you would need 2 different colored or tail type pairs spawn on the same day. Some people throw away the original eggs (they usually use fighters as the foster parents because fighters are so much better at fry care) so they can determine the line of the fry.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #39 
bettalover2033

Haha that's great. Look I just learned something else. That whole "you learn something new everyday" saying is really true. Especially when talking about bettas.
Posted via Mobile Device