Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:49 AM   #12 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
Smudge looks like he's got alot more yellow now. ^^

Best of luck, beautiful pair.
He does
Im excited on the result this spawn will lead to... fingers crossed everything goes will (typing up an update now)
LittleBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #13 
bettasusa

These babies are going to be some lookers! Good luck with the pair. Checking back on the daily :)
bettasusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #14 
LittleBettas

Feb. 06, 2012

Smudge is now loose in the spawning tank with Merle in the Hurrican jar, while Smudge is showing obvious interest in breeding, Merle, who for the first few minutes of intro (through the jar) did show signs, is now facing the other way when he comes near, he is now turning most of his focus to working on his bubble nest.... Im hoping to see some interest on her part, she has yet to bar up but Smudge is still trying to wind her over.... fingers crossed that all goes well... I took pictures this morning but I have yet to load them up... WAY to tired right now....
Old 02-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #15 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Feb. 06, 2012

Smudge is now loose in the spawning tank with Merle in the Hurrican jar, while Smudge is showing obvious interest in breeding, Merle, who for the first few minutes of intro (through the jar) did show signs, is now facing the other way when he comes near, he is now turning most of his focus to working on his bubble nest.... Im hoping to see some interest on her part, she has yet to bar up but Smudge is still trying to wind her over.... fingers crossed that all goes well... I took pictures this morning but I have yet to load them up... WAY to tired right now....
It brings joy to me to see a responsible breeder on the forum. I can tell from you being so prepared!

The pair is very pretty and since they are both marbles, they will definitely have some very unique colors from this spawn. Smudge will be one to really create the odd balls. You may even see the red take it's toll on a few if not many of the fry. I'm excited for this spawn and can't wait to see the different color variations. They look like the perfect pair. Kind of looking like a sibling pair.

It's good that Smudge is already starting a nest. It bugs me when my males don't start a nest even though they don't need a nest in order for you to release the female. I am sure that Merle will eventually warm up to Smudge.

Good luck.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:57 AM   #16 
LittleBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettalover2033 View Post
It brings joy to me to see a responsible breeder on the forum. I can tell from you being so prepared!

The pair is very pretty and since they are both marbles, they will definitely have some very unique colors from this spawn. Smudge will be one to really create the odd balls. You may even see the red take it's toll on a few if not many of the fry. I'm excited for this spawn and can't wait to see the different color variations. They look like the perfect pair. Kind of looking like a sibling pair.

It's good that Smudge is already starting a nest. It bugs me when my males don't start a nest even though they don't need a nest in order for you to release the female. I am sure that Merle will eventually warm up to Smudge.

Good luck.

Thank you!!! I've been really nervous about setting this up, but Im pleased on how hard Smudge is trying... Merle is truly being a girl... I have caught her a few times watching Smudge work on the bubble nest.... not sure if she knows what to think yet, lol

Merle actually has orange in her background and most of Smudges brothers have had more purple than red... def. going to get some interesting colors in this one!!!!

Smudge actually usually has really weak nest.... his bubbles are usually small and he doesnt tend to them much, but he is actually making a decent one this time with pretty big bubbles... he's def. taking his time! lol, he is trying to impress Merle... he has started wiggling under his nest... SO cute, lol

Thank you!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:15 AM   #17 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettas View Post
Thank you!!! I've been really nervous about setting this up, but Im pleased on how hard Smudge is trying... Merle is truly being a girl... I have caught her a few times watching Smudge work on the bubble nest.... not sure if she knows what to think yet, lol

Merle actually has orange in her background and most of Smudges brothers have had more purple than red... def. going to get some interesting colors in this one!!!!

Smudge actually usually has really weak nest.... his bubbles are usually small and he doesnt tend to them much, but he is actually making a decent one this time with pretty big bubbles... he's def. taking his time! lol, he is trying to impress Merle... he has started wiggling under his nest... SO cute, lol

Thank you!!!
Wow orange. Well then you should definitely expect some amazing colors and patterns.

Well once males see females, they tend to work harder on their nests and flare with wider spreads to display for her. You know that are trying to "impress" the females to get a mate. Though they don't know that they are in a controlled environment and their natural instincts are kicking in. Usually males build nests Because they get excited. Whether they see another male and want to show him whos boss or they are contempt, and most of the time when they see a female. They will make more of an effort than usual. I have much experience with this because many of my divided males used to make bubble nests all the time and when in the breeding tank, they dicided to make it bigger and larger bubbles. I usually get the males that make their nests thick. It's easier for the eggs to be placed.

What you are witnessing is my favorite part of breeding bettas. It's what I like to call the "Betta Dance." When they wiggle back and forth in an S pattern but stay in one spot. I also love to see them clamp and release their caudal fins. Oth sexes do this and I think it looks really cool.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #18 
SDragon

These are super pretty fish!!!
SDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #19 
LittleBettas

What a busy day....
Everything has jumped forward a lot faster than I expected... leaving me behind on writing this spawn... as I type.... Merle and Smudge are collecting eggs and putting them in the nest... and what a funny pair.... they are constantly pushing each other out of the way to pick up eggs.... very eager parents....
Im going to finish up the spawn log according to how everything has gone (it may seem a bit wierd at first)

Feb. 07 2012
(7 am)
I released Merle from the hurrican jar.... immediatly, Smudge began to try to get her under the nest... she went under looked at his nest.. then swam away... this went on until I left for class around 8am

Looking at the nest...

Smudge wiggling under the nest

Feb. 07 2012
(11 am)
I come back from class and check on the pair... it looks like Merle is actually helping Smudge on the nest (blowing bubbles).... they seem to make an effort to spawn but both end up continuing blowing bubbles... I leave to make lunch

Feb 07 2012
(11:30am)
I return and they are spawning... NO eggas are falling though... its obvious they are not having must sucess on the "correct way" and most of the time Smudge is ending up "shocked" and sinking to the bottom... leaving Merle irritated.... all of their nipped fins have come from this (Im guesing frustration on not doing it correctly?) Merle is finally left "shocked" at the top... when she comes to, she immediatly swims to the bottom... but still no eggs.... this continues....

Feb. 07 2012
(12pm)
First sucessful spawn with eggs (only 3 though)
Merle is the one to collect the eggs... they continue to have sucessful spawn from this point on with each leading to eggs... though there only seems to be a couple eggs all of which Merle collects (if they fall from the nest, Smudge is putting them back)

Feb. 07 2012
(1pm)
Largest drop of eggs... more than 10 at least... and now both are collecting eggs with a vigor!!!

Ooops!!! XD

Old 02-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #20 
tpocicat

Looks like they are finally getting it. Congratulations!
tpocicat is offline   Reply With Quote