Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #1 
neonlights

non pet stores shouldn't sell fish

I went shopping at Meijer this past tuesday and I looked at the fish and noticed they had some bettas. really nice ones but they all looked very sick and one of them had some type of growth on him, almost like mold? it was very depressing to see him like that. I think pet stores should be the only shops allowed to carry fish.
neonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 11:20 AM   #2 
a123andpoof

Even some pet stores shouldn't be allowed to sell fish. People see fish as decoration, not animals. It's sad but also a fact of life.
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #3 
Badjer

Miejer used to be even worse...they sold rodents and budgies as well. I confess to actually owning one of their budgies a few years ago. I wish they would stick to groceries and such! Hopefully someday there will be laws protecting fish or at least common sense to know better.
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:34 PM   #4 
neonlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjer View Post
Miejer used to be even worse...they sold rodents and budgies as well. I confess to actually owning one of their budgies a few years ago. I wish they would stick to groceries and such! Hopefully someday there will be laws protecting fish or at least common sense to know better.

oh wow I can't even imagine how filthy their cages must have been.
neonlights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #5 
Badjer

At my local store they actually weren't that bad. They seemed relatively well cared for, not that that makes it much better! I'm guessing they stopped selling them because the Petco is right down the street...obviously people prefer to go there!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #6 
Domino

I totally agree with you on that one. I got my little Logan as a present from Walmart. I go back once in a while to pick up supplies, though I prefer to do my shopping online (it's amazing what discounts you can find on Amazon). My mother and sister were displeased because I do partial water changes once a week. When they asked a guy at Wally World how often they change water in the regular fish tanks, he said once a year! I was quite unhappy with him, especially since many of their tanks have dead fish stuck to the glass or the filters. What the h-e-double hockey sticks does this guy know about caring for any fish!
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #7 
EimajElocin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino View Post
I totally agree with you on that one. I got my little Logan as a present from Walmart. I go back once in a while to pick up supplies, though I prefer to do my shopping online (it's amazing what discounts you can find on Amazon). My mother and sister were displeased because I do partial water changes once a week. When they asked a guy at Wally World how often they change water in the regular fish tanks, he said once a year! I was quite unhappy with him, especially since many of their tanks have dead fish stuck to the glass or the filters. What the h-e-double hockey sticks does this guy know about caring for any fish!
I know what you mean, Walmart is horrible to their fish. Half of their fish are dead in the tanks, then the Bettas usually have 2 inches of water. Most of them have to lay down sideways in the tiny cups to get water. It's so sad.
EimajElocin is offline   Reply With Quote