Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-24-2008, 06:47 PM   #11 
SST

In doing a bit of research, the smallest heater I'm seeing is 7.5 watts, which is rated for a 2-5 gallon tank. On Amazon.com, someone has the hydor mini and said they used it in a 1 gal. bowl, but their house temp. was kept at 60 degrees in the winter. I bought a 7.5 W heater from Wal Mart just last week for my 5 gal. It's called Small Aquarium Heater by Junior Heater, for 2-5 gallon aquariums.

You might want to consider spending $10 and buying a 2 gal. bowl. (or larger, if you can afford it, my betta loves his 5 gal. tank.)

Definitely buy a thermometer, one that goes inside or floats in the water (Walmart, $1.98) and not the one that sticks on the outside so you can monitor the temperature. Too hot is as bad as too cold.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:27 PM   #12 
bobbysgrl

If it's only $10 for a 2 gallon tank, then I got ripped off. My 1 gallon bowl cost about $15.

I'm saving up for this 6.6 gallon tank,
http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701003

I will try and find a small heater until then.
bobbysgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:32 PM   #13 
SST

I don't know how much they cost. I was just generalizing. I found my 5 gal. tank at Goodwill for $4. Look there, too.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:40 AM   #14 
Falina

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysgrl
If it's only $10 for a 2 gallon tank, then I got ripped off. My 1 gallon bowl cost about $15.

I'm saving up for this 6.6 gallon tank,
http://www.fish.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=701003

I will try and find a small heater until then.
I don't live in America so I can't say for sure but I've read many members saying that they've got 10g tanks for about $20 in Walmart, so you may be best having a look in there to see what there is. Second hand tanks are usually quite cheap as well so scour your local papers for them.

Over here, often a 10g tank is cheaper than a 5g, because they're sold cheap as breeder tanks etc, rather than little betta kits which tend to be way overpriced IMHO. With a 10g tank as well you'd have no problem finding a heater or filter for it. Good luck searching. :)
Falina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #15 
jeaninel

I got my 10 gallon at Petsmart for $10.99 (tank only). However, that didn't include a hood, light, etc. I believe the kits were about $45 and included most everything.
jeaninel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #16 
bobbysgrl

I'm so excited. I went to Wal-Mart tonight and I got a 10 gallon tank for $9.76. I bought some gravel but, I did not have the money for a filter, heater, etc. Still, I am so very excited and I can't wait to add my Betta and buy more fish.

What fish can I place in a tank with a female Betta and how many?
Old 01-26-2008, 08:28 AM   #17 
SST

Before you spend money on any fish, I'd spend money on a heater and take proper care of the fish you have right now.

Bettas don't need a filter, actually, you have to be careful which type of filter you put in there because the outflow can be too strong for them and shred their fins. Just keep up on your water changes.

You are planning to cycle the tank first, before moving your fishie in there, right? I hope so.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #18 
bobbysgrl

I know that Bettas do not need a filter, but I do plan on buying one that has a low feature on it. And I am going to buy a heater first too. I don't plan on putting my Betta in it until I have finished getting all the necessities.

What's cycling?