Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #1 
EimajElocin

Community or Sorority? -Opinions.

Just curious. Which do you like the best? Community, or Sorority? I'm adding plants to my tank today, and later on, fish. Just trying to figure out which fish.
EimajElocin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #2 
CoyoteBetta22

sorority!

I have 3 female bettas in a ten gallon tank with one real amazon swords leaf plant which works great for any betta not posionus or anything like that. I also have 2 colord plastic shot glasses they love to go in and 3 fake plants 2 medium and one small with rock base which my my girls baby opaque betta loves it and a lil 6 way cavern they like and a chinese alge eater which I think is female just they way it acts but female bettas are the way to go for a larger tank cause they are always fun to watch play with eachother I got one drangon betta 2 beautiful true opaque with no irridesents baby and almost full grown ill post pics asap but they are awesome and you can always go out get a lil 3 gallon tank for a male and just look up some breeding tips and you can have tons of baby bettas
CoyoteBetta22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:47 PM   #3 
bettafish15

Hm... Depends on the size of the tank. Assuming the tank is a decent size, I would say sorority :) Or, if the tank is big enough, a sorority and some cories :3
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:34 PM   #4 
Fawnleaf

It really depends on what you want. Sororities can cause a lot of stress- unless the bettas are under the right conditions there will be a whole lot of blood shed. The second one of them shows a sign of weakness, the others will attack and probably kill it. You have to watch for aggression and make sure none of them get sick. There must be plenty of caves and plants and hiding places in your tank.

On the other hand, Communities are more peaceful and less-stressful (in my opinion). You don't have to worry about the fish killing each other and you can go for any kind of setup you want- as long as there are at least a few plants and caves. You can even have a betta in there (as long as it isn't aggressive towards your other fish). You can also choose from a wide range of fish- guppies, platys, cories... ect.

So basically, if you are willing to deal with a little aggression every now and then, I would say sorority! They are so beautiful if they are set up properly. But community tanks are safest! So good luck with what ever you choose!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #5 
EimajElocin

Thank you for your opinions! I already have a 20 gallon long and I keep it heated at 78 F. I have drift wood, 3 plants (Just ordered 3 more today) and I have some really nice rocks randomly stacked on top of each other which make really nice caves and 'hidey holes'. I was leaning more towards Sorority, but I wanted to hear other people's opinions. So thank you guys (:
& I can't wait to see pictures CoyoteBetta22
Old 02-04-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 
Bombalurina

Both. I have a community and a sorority in my 16 gallon and I love it. I get all the personality of the girls with the added interest and colour of different species. :) In a 20 gallon, I'd definitely do both. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 
ravenwinds

I have a 29gallon planted aquarium with guppies, Cory cats, 2 Bosemani rainbows, and my 2 female bettas...lots of real plants, rock caves, and drift wood. It is so much fun watching all the different personalities. I recommend a community tank with peaceful fish to go with a small sorority of girl bettas. The bettas and rainbows keep the fully population down and the Cory cats are in small school that increased within first month...between my mom and me, we've had tropical fish tanks for 15 years and have never had Cory babies until now..they are about 6 months old and the most playful fish I've ever had.
ravenwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:54 AM   #8 
scootshoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EimajElocin View Post
Just curious. Which do you like the best? Community, or Sorority? I'm adding plants to my tank today, and later on, fish. Just trying to figure out which fish.
Mine are mixed.. At present have 6 females in a 15 gallon + 3 pepper cories and Ghost shrimp. This will be the max load I go unless I find an amazing crowntail female somewhere, haha.

Am real glad the Ghost shrimp were added before the females cause they completely ignore em. If I tossed them in after the females got acquainted with the tank setup am sure none of em would have survived.

Also found a local breeder for Red Cherry shrimp (Craigslist) which are difficult to find in pet stores, gonna add them in next week. My tank gravel is red so they should blend in nicely.

Last edited by scootshoot; 02-05-2012 at 11:57 AM.
scootshoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #9 
EimajElocin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootshoot View Post
Mine are mixed.. At present have 6 females in a 15 gallon + 3 pepper cories and Ghost shrimp. This will be the max load I go unless I find an amazing crowntail female somewhere, haha.

Am real glad the Ghost shrimp were added before the females cause they completely ignore em. If I tossed them in after the females got acquainted with the tank setup am sure none of em would have survived.

Also found a local breeder for Red Cherry shrimp (Craigslist) which are difficult to find in pet stores, gonna add them in next week. My tank gravel is red so they should blend in nicely.
The ghost shrimp before the females is a really good idea. I was going to add ghost shrimp after my bettas, but now I'll definitely add some before.
I've searched everywhere for Red Cherry Shrimp! I think it's be a nice contrast in my white gravel and all my green plants, but I can't find them anywhere.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #10 
scootshoot

Indeed, this will be the first time I will have owned RCS, always wanted them. Am surprised retail chains never carry RCS. Am gonna be adding 12 as this craigslist poster was selling dozen portions, am picking them up next Saturday.

Gonna be interesting to see how the ghost and rcs interact with one another.
scootshoot is online now   Reply With Quote