Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #1 
MarcusTheGreat

I Woke Up This Morning And One Of My Tetras Have No Eye =S

i woke up this morning well right now i went to my aquarium to feed my fish. As i was feeding my fish i noticed a tetra in the back not eating, it got me curious so i looked to the back were he was sitting i mean swimming lol and i looked at his eye and it was red as it was swimming closer to me i noticed he had no eye. I have no idea how this happened maybe someone has a suggestion or even a explanation ?
MarcusTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Need some more info....

Tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, temp, additives used, filter, live plants, stocking information, type of decoration, how long has the tank been running, how long have you had the Tetra, has the Tetra been sick and/or treated in the last 2 weeks, can you post a pic....

Also, is the tank cycled and do you have any water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and what type of test products used....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Need some more info....

Tank size, how much and how often are the water changes, temp, additives used, filter, live plants, stocking information, type of decoration, how long has the tank been running, how long have you had the Tetra, has the Tetra been sick and/or treated in the last 2 weeks, can you post a pic....

Also, is the tank cycled and do you have any water pram numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH and what type of test products used....
10g tank tank has been running for 3 months now i have fake plants. I do water changes every week 50% sometimes 70% i have had my tetras for a good month now no there not sick there all healthy and yes my tank is cycled
Old 02-05-2012, 04:07 PM   #4 
MarcusTheGreat

Thats how my tank looks like i will try to take a picture of the tetra

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328475994
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 
MarcusTheGreat

ok so this is how he looks like

http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328476452
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328476464
http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1328476473
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

Do you have a filter and what is the tank stocked with...species and numbers to rule out if it was caused by a tank mate and type of additives used....

Hard to tell by the pic...but it almost looks like an old injury...can you tell if the eye socket looks clean or any tissue hanging out....other eye looks normal-no clamped fins...just hiding more and not eating...

To start I would get the Tetra QT'd and start clean like temp dechlorinated water treatment-I am sure you already know this-but Tetras can be really sensitive to medications and salt...

Nice job on your tank by the way...very pretty....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM   #7 
Arashi Takamine

Does your tetra live with a betta? Sometimes betta's will beat up their tankmates a bit if they feel their territory is being invaded.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #8 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Do you have a filter and what is the tank stocked with...species and numbers to rule out if it was caused by a tank mate and type of additives used....

Hard to tell by the pic...but it almost looks like an old injury...can you tell if the eye socket looks clean or any tissue hanging out....other eye looks normal-no clamped fins...just hiding more and not eating...

To start I would get the Tetra QT'd and start clean like temp dechlorinated water treatment-I am sure you already know this-but Tetras can be really sensitive to medications and salt...

Nice job on your tank by the way...very pretty....
thank u very much and yes i do have a filter i have 1 betta and 8 tetras that is all i dont think its a old injury i keep on eye on my tetras everyday and i did not see this yesterday there are no tissues hanging out it just looks like the eye fell out clean its just red
Old 02-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #9 
MarcusTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arashi Takamine View Post
Does your tetra live with a betta? Sometimes betta's will beat up their tankmates a bit if they feel their territory is being invaded.
im pretty sure thats not the case my betta has been fine with the tetras he minds his own business they have been together for a month now and i keep a eye on them daily and there were no problems with the betta and tetras
Old 02-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #10 
Arashi Takamine

Hmm..Could it be from one of the plants then? I'm not sure how a fish could have lost their eye besides an attack.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote