Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-04-2012, 05:07 PM   #1 
wolfiegreen

Question Need some opinions

So I recently got two females from walmart to help me set up a sorority but one of the females had bloating and pine coning and the other seemed smal but fine. For some reason something seems off about the smaller one and I get the feeling she may really be a he. When i posted my soroity pics someone else mentioned it as well so I need some opinions.

Shot at 2012-02-03

Shot at 2012-02-03

Shot at 2012-02-03

Shot at 2012-01-30

Shot at 2012-01-30
wolfiegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:21 PM   #2 
peachesxo

Yeah I think it's a he... but only time will tell.
Reminds me of an old rescue I took in that now lives with one of my friends, when I got her "she" looked like this...

and as time went on I grew more and more suspicious, mostly since she "flared like a man" from the start...

and EVENTUALLY.."she" turned into this beast you see here:

peachesxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #3 
wolfiegreen

I've got 2 other females that look like that one but i dont see bears when they flare lol. Well if its a boy he has a name lol
Old 02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #4 
Myates

Sorry to hear the one was bloated and pine coning.. once they pine cone it's rare for them to pull through as that is usually a sign of organs shutting down. Is she still alive?

And I want to say what you have is a male- the fins are pretty long for one that size. Betta fins continue to grow until about 7 months of age- and during that time they may have "growth spurts" and grow their fins pretty long- otherwise their bodies tend to grow slowly between 3-4 months and 7 months.

The bars (going up and down the body is used mainly for mating/submissive, while the ones going head to tail is mainly for stress (but not always, they use their stripes as a way to communicate but since we can't speak fish language, we know only some of the reasons).. so baring up while flaring isn't a for sure thing.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #5 
wolfiegreen

Yeah the pineconing wasn't to bad she still bloated it's been 3 days she acts fine she may be a fatty lol. Ah crap now I need another critter keeper >.<
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 PM   #6 
Myates

Fish don't become fat- best bet is to get her into some Epsom Salt immediately to give her a fighting chance..

2 tsp per gallon, daily 100% water change, 8-10 days.. can't guarantee she will make it, but it will help bring the swelling down and hopefully help with the pine coning.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:05 PM   #7 
wolfiegreen

I know myates lol. As I said she's doing fine I ment to add 3 days on Epsom salt but this iPad screws everything up. Was also supposed to be beard not bears. The pine coning went down the first day on the salt it was only 3 lines of scales from the dorsal fin to the bottom fins. Some one mentioned an upset stomach but idk. Wel see how it goes.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 
wolfiegreen

Yep pretty sure it's a guy Im pretty sure I see a beard so I'm gonna try and get ahold of a new tanks with filter and everything for him her to be safe till he or she gets bigger