Old 02-04-2012, 02:08 AM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

wow! I want to get an oscar some day!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #12 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperarabian View Post
Oscars are fine alone, they aren't really social and will interact with they're owners. They're territory will go beyond the tank walls and they each have their own personality. They are also trainable and some even enjoy being pet. many regard them as the most intelligent aquarium fish.

The downside is they will destroy live plants, and are clumsy. So careful selection of decorations without sharp points, and driftwood. They do best with a filter that has a bio wheel, and no under gravel filter because it's been known to cause HITH, a horrible disease that creates large holes in the poor fishes head. Photo http://i54.tinypic.com/2mwrtc1.jpg

"The major portion of a wild Oscarís diet consists of insects and crustaceans such as freshwater shrimp and crawfish. Oscars are not piscivores (carnivorous animals which eat primarily fish.) Fish actually comprise a minor portion of their diet. Oddly enough, the primary fish prey of Oscars in the wild are catfish. Keep that in mind when selecting tankmates.
Nor are Oscarís carnivores (animals which eat only meat.) In the wild, a significant component of an Oscarís diet is fruit that has fallen into the water. As a result, Oscars have a high dietary requirement for Vitamin C.
In addition to fruit, a significant component of a wild Oscarís diet consists of algae and green plants. Not because they seek out these foods and eat them, but because these are the gut contents of their prey. "
http://www.oscarfish.com/article-hom...scar-fish.html

My parents used to have one :)
I read that article, and based on that info, omega one is a very good pellet food! That's what I feed my betta! :)
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #13 
styggian

I was also going to suggest an oscar if no one else had. They are amazing fish! We had one at a pet store I worked at who was maybe 8-10 inches long and was friendly as heck. Put your hand in the tank, and he would rub up against your fingers and let your tickle him, and he could easily be hand fed. Customers were always amazed when I showed them, a lot of people find big fish intimidating or scary. He was fantastic.
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 10:42 AM   #14 
diablo13

My dad's friend had one. He loved that fish, he kept it in a 100 gallon and fed it all the right stuff and everything. But then it died.....or his wife made him give it away. I don't know. He already sold the tank before I could get it -_-
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #15 
redchigh

I think you could give an oscar a tankmate in a 75 gallon... Perhaps a texas cichlid, or a large bottom feeder of some sort. (not a common plec, but a large gold nugget pleco could work)
redchigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #16 
helms97

PIRANAH!! My lfs keeps them and they are reallycool!
helms97 is offline   Reply With Quote