Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 10:06 AM   #11 
a123andpoof

when I first got my fish she couldn't believe how much I spent on his setup. She questioned the water changes to, but I am the animal person in the family so I think she figured I sorta new what I was doing. She also used to think i had to many fish. I still think she does, but I pay for them and if I have the room I get the fish. I'm 18 I have more privilages haha I don't think dad knows how many I have though...and plan on adding six more once I get the sorority up and running in my sisters room probably say I have to many pets lol
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #12 
betta lover1507

i know how you feel
my parents are telling me NOT to make a sorority and put them in these 1 gallon tanks where they told me to put my males in (i have 4 tanks, they didn't tell me to put females in the same tank as males) it is either a sorority or breeding
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #13 
Bettas Rule
Banned

(I am not pointing fingers to anyone in particular in this post, this is meant as a general message from a parents point of view on the subject and is not meant to cast judgement on anyone. It is written to try to show a different perspective relative to the OP.)

It's very hard as a parent to read this thread especially since I was not even allowed to have a fish growing up.

Living with your parents suck, that's just how life is. In time you will see that being an adult is MUCH harder. Your mothers/fathers "nagging" may be an issue for you now but I promise it's NOTHING compared to what you will experience when you move out of your parents or grandparents house.

Personally, I give my daughter a hard time just to push her nerves. Why you may ask? Because it prepares her for the real world and teaches her to learn to control her temper, especially under stress. And what is more stressful than your mom nagging at you? My mother did it to me and so did my father. It teaches you how to ignore things that annoy you and not become emotional.

Being a parent is harder than you can ever know and if your parents are nice enough to let you have a fish in the first place try to be appreciative of their generosity, instead of complaining that they are giving you their opinion on fish keeping. Next time, try saying "thanks for the information mom but I like to spoil my fish by keeping his water as clean as possible."

Trying to get into who's right and who's wrong argument with your parents is a losing battle. They are your parents which makes them always right, even when they are wrong. Understand? Very few parents will admit fault, and even when they do it's not in the heat of the argument. They can't because they have to maintain authority over you. Why? Because that's a parents job, to teach you how to be able to live in this world safely and productively.

I was not allowed to have a fish because my dad said that I needed to save my money for a car and and bills and ect.. So be thankful you didn't have my father growing up, he also had a zero toleration for any attitude or back mouthing and that included my educated opinion.

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 02-06-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Bettas Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #14 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryup View Post
My family dnt like me having a fish tank, iv told my mom if she makes me get rid of the tank then im moving out lol :):):)
Posted via Mobile Device
So she let you keep the fish instead??? I would have let you sleep outside for the night. No offense.

Last edited by Bettas Rule; 02-06-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #15 
Tikibirds

I get into arguments with my sister all the time over this. she has 2 goldfish - i dont know what kind but they have big bellies and ling flowing tails in a 10 gallon tank and only changes the water when it gets dirty. She says they have lived for 2 years like this. makes me want to smash my head into a wall
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 11:56 AM   #16 
BETTACHKALOVE

I have 8 bettas. Each in 2.5 gall. Those tanks take so much space. My boyfriend was aggregated at the beginning. Now he used to it. He knows how much i love them.
I do change them every 5-6 days. I do 100% water changes. Or you can do 1-50% and 1-100% a week. If you want your betta live longer than 2 years then you do right thing.
Betta can live up to 7-9 years. Well it probably if human will live up to 100 years. But really betta can easy live up to 5-6 years with right care. One of my betta will be 5 years old. All I do just change water regularly. So you are really do right care And if your grandparents want you to be happy then they will let you do it. It also will teach you responsibility. And if you will not do right things then you are not responsible. May be if you will explain it to them then it will help them to understand you :) We have to have pets and at least fish easier and less money than other pets.
If someone change the water once a month then betta will get die more then it life expectancy and usually they get sick and suffer before it die.
BETTACHKALOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #17 
a123andpoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettas Rule View Post
(I am not pointing fingers to anyone in particular in this post, this is meant as a general message from a parents point of view on the subject and is not meant to cast judgement on anyone. It is written to try to show a different perspective relative to the OP.)

It's very hard as a parent to read this thread especially since I was not even allowed to have a fish growing up.

Living with your parents suck, that's just how life is. In time you will see that being an adult is MUCH harder. Your mothers/fathers "nagging" may be an issue for you now but I promise it's NOTHING compared to what you will experience when you move out of your parents or grandparents house.

Personally, I give my daughter a hard time just to push her nerves. Why you may ask? Because it prepares her for the real world and teaches her to learn to control her temper, especially under stress. And what is more stressful than your mom nagging at you? My mother did it to me and so did my father. It teaches you how to ignore things that annoy you and not become emotional.

Being a parent is harder than you can ever know and if your parents are nice enough to let you have a fish in the first place try to be appreciative of their generosity, instead of complaining that they are giving you their opinion on fish keeping. Next time, try saying "thanks for the information mom but I like to spoil my fish by keeping his water as clean as possible."

Trying to get into who's right and who's wrong argument with your parents is a losing battle. They are your parents which makes them always right, even when they are wrong. Understand? Very few parents will admit fault, and even when they do it's not in the heat of the argument. They can't because they have to maintain authority over you. Why? Because that's a parents job, to teach you how to be able to live in this world safely and productively.

I was not allowed to have a fish because my dad said that I needed to save my money for a car and and bills and ect.. So be thankful you didn't have my father growing up, he also had a zero toleration for any attitude or back mouthing and that included my educated opinion.
You do make a very good point. Yes parents can be a pain but they are looking out for our best interests. Even if it doesn't seem like it. I am lucky to have pretty lenient parents who allow me to have tons of pets. And really we should all be grateful that we are allowed to have the fish or pets we do cause there are many kids who don't even get to own fish or any types of pets.
Thank you for pointing this out Bettas Rule
a123andpoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #18 
Jrf456

I agree Bettas Rule.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #19 
Bettas Rule
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by a123andpoof View Post
You do make a very good point. Yes parents can be a pain but they are looking out for our best interests. Even if it doesn't seem like it. I am lucky to have pretty lenient parents who allow me to have tons of pets. And really we should all be grateful that we are allowed to have the fish or pets we do cause there are many kids who don't even get to own fish or any types of pets.
Thank you for pointing this out Bettas Rule
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
I agree Bettas Rule.
Your welcome, it's normal to be angry with our parents and it's easy to forget that they are acting out of love. I still get into spats with my parents so in reality we never grow out of being children in our parents eyes.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:31 PM   #20 
Littlebittyfish

I hope when I have kids one day they will love fishkeeping as much as i do.....I think fishkeeping is a great way to teach responsibility and patience..and hey, maybe if I nag enough I can even get them to carry the buckets of water outside when my back is sore.....
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote