Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM   #1 
Laki

Bubble nests!!!

It's time to talk about bubble nests
Bowser has one built and the other day when my bf removed the towel I had between hospital tank and Bowser's the 2 fish were flaring. Bowser was blowing bubbles and then defending them. He's got his bubble nest built under the curve of the java fern. I was really careful not to touch it during the 50% water change 2 days ago, however, it's looking REALLY gross now.
How long do you guys wait before cleaning them?
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:41 PM   #2 
Badjer

Lol maybe I'm just less respectful of my boys...but I just destroy them when I do water changes. XD. Not purposefully obviously, but the cleanliness of the tank is more important for them than their nests. They don't really tend to them anyways, just build them then get bored. My fish are lazy I guess! But typically after the nests are gone, they build them back bigger. Protest I guess!
Badjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #3 
Laki

^.^ Ludey formed a tiny bubble nest one day in his q-tank but since I am doing 100% daily cleanings on it I had no choice but to ruin it. I felt horrible because I want him to express himself! And my Lakitu never once built a nest, so it's nice when I get them ^.^
Bowser's is getting washed out tomorrow or Thursday because I'm done looking at it. When he gets excited he goes over and adds a few more to it but I think it's just looking bad now.
What was the biggest nest you received?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #4 
Myates

I break them when I do my water changes.. hard not to break them.

I always have one going, as I tend to have leaves in the tanks and they really enjoy building under them- that's the only way Xander will build a bubble nest, if there is a leaf at the surface.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:25 AM   #5 
earthworm88

I destroyed mine too. Don't really have a choice as I changed the water 100% each time. Thank goodness they don't give up and continue to entertain themselves with the bubbles. Since I put in the floating lotus, they just love to build the nest in the circumference and underneath it. As long as they keep busy, I am happy

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:33 AM   #6 
TaraVictor

Victor makes bubble nests a lot too. He actually made a big one for me after I got back home from being away for 3 weeks. I think he was happy to see me. =)

As for cleaning them, I do weekly water changes. I think it's important to keep the water clean rather than not changing the water. It helps him to be busy when he builds the next one, plus it's nice to see. ;)
TaraVictor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:44 AM   #7 
Laki

Aw :) Happy bettas! I love coming to see bubble nests. I wasn't sure if I should remove it when I did the partial change but I think he's got it in him to just build a new one. He has a floating cork which he likes to flirt with, maybe that will receive the next nest :D