Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM   #11 
whoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm88 View Post
Kudos to you for having Sherman for 7 years!! That's the longest I have heard on this forum!
LOL. My *son* is 7 years old (technically this is his fish). Sherman was not so lucky.

I know I need to do frequent water changes but I'm really scared of stressing him out. This is only his third day in his new home, and he hasn't had a bowel movement yet--poor guy. I watch like a hawk too, and I'll keep testing NO2 and NO3; so far the ammonia levels have been at zero since the poor guy can't go.

Thanks again!
whoiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #12 
whoiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw View Post
In a one gallon bowl with epsom salt doesn't the water have to be changed 100% everyday??
This is my big concern. I foolishly failed to think that through when I introduced the epsom salt. Since he's new to our home, I'm scared of causing more stress/shock by doing a 100% change before he's even acclimated.

Now it's a matter of damage control, i.e., which is worse for him: staying in that water a bit longer than advised or the stress of a complete water change? (FWIW, I used a scant teaspoon of epsom salt in a little over a gallon of treated water, not the full 2-3 teaspoons some people suggest.)

And no, not too late to chime in! Any and ALL advice is welcome!

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #13 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw View Post
In a one gallon bowl with epsom salt doesn't the water have to be changed 100% everyday??
Forgive me if I'm commenting late, or haven't read carefully enough.
You are absolutely right! If using ES for osmotic regulatory, laxative purposes etc, then the water is changed on a daily basis. OP was panicking a bit in the beginning and immediately added ES without obvious cause while it's highly possible that the new betta is still trying to adjust to his new environment and acting rather stressed and shy. So since it's already been added, and to avoid unnecessary stress to Blue Star for changing water again, we suggested that he could just leave the ES in there for now since it will not be harmful to the betta and proceed to change the entire water at his next scheduled change.

Cheers!
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #14 
whoiam

Wow, earthworm! Can you be my spokesperson?

You explained this all so much better than I could.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #15 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoiam View Post
LOL. My *son* is 7 years old (technically this is his fish). Sherman was not so lucky.
LOL well, I had a good laugh at myself!

Quote:
I know I need to do frequent water changes but I'm really scared of stressing him out. This is only his third day in his new home, and he hasn't had a bowel movement yet--poor guy. I watch like a hawk too, and I'll keep testing NO2 and NO3; so far the ammonia levels have been at zero since the poor guy can't go.Thanks again!
Don't worry overly much about the eating and pooping yet. A lot of bettas take time (up to 2 weeks) to make themselves comfortable. As long as you try to keep the water super clean, and keep trying to feed him, he will come around

Cheers!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #16 
whoiam

Thank you!

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone that helped when I was freaking out.

Blue Star seems to be doing very well now--he's been eating and swimming contentedly for some days.

I've had a new tank for several days, but I'm still waiting for a shipment of a few more supplies so I can cycle it properly before moving him. But that's another set of questions entirely!

For now I'm keeping his water clean and as warm as the little heater will safely go (sadly for him that's about 75 degrees, but he's hanging in there and will soon have a comfy spacious home.

Thanks again!
Old 02-22-2012, 10:45 PM   #17 
earthworm88

Thanks very much for the update. So glad to hear both you and your Blue Star is doing superb! Happy Betta Keeping!

Cheers!

Tags
epsom salt