Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 02:35 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

Does anyone else tend to be picky about the gender of their pets?

I prefer to have boy pets and I have no idea why.....anyone else like this?

PS: If I get a girl pet, I love it just as much, but if given the choice I choose boys...
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:57 PM   #2 
purplemuffin

I'm picky with some pets. With cats and dogs, boys and girls have very different personalities. While girls can be just as sweet as boys, the boys have a certain laid back quality that is just charming. I have had both and I prefer boys to chill out with, but girl dogs can be quite goofy and fun.

With tarantulas I prefer girls because..well, they live longer! Depending on the species a male could live a max of two years while the female could live 15!

For reptiles..males don't lay eggs! That's a plus, no worries about egg binding.

Though of course it all depends on the animal. :) Sometimes a girl will call to me~And sometimes a boy will call to me.
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM   #3 
thekoimaiden
Reference Team

Interesting question. It depends for me. I will always chose a female dog over a male one. I don't want the yard and bushes to be burned up by little boys lifting their legs all over. That doesn't fly with me. For cats it doesn't really matter. It depends more on personality. I would rather have a snugglepuss over a sourpuss. But if I had to chose between a male and female cat with the same personality I would go with the female again due to the risk of territory-marking behaviour. If I ever got a small animal I would probably go with a male because they are easier to neuter.
thekoimaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #4 
Inga

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
I prefer to have boy pets and I have no idea why.....anyone else like this?

PS: If I get a girl pet, I love it just as much, but if given the choice I choose boys...
I am the polar opposite. I always pick girls if given a choice. My heart dog was a girl. I currently have 2 boys but only because one was supposed to be a foster and once I got some crappy applications for him, I decided his place was here forever. The other one is a show dog and the breeder just gave me a deal I couldn't pass on. So now, I have 2 boys but still prefer girls. I got a female cat recently to help balance the scales. ha ha
Inga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:18 PM   #5 
JBosley

I am And so is my Mother. She is pro females and I am pro males! I generally find male animals more affectionate Where as my Mother thinks males are gross haha.

Granted I'd take a male or female any day! I just love animals.
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #6 
betta lover1507

i pick boy snakes since they tend to stay smaller and less aggresive as females :) and boy cats less annoying and more lazy :3
i never owned a girl dog only a boy dog
betta lover1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #7 
bettafish15

I'm more partial to girls. The only boys in my house are one of my cats, my 4 betta males, and my hamster, who was free so I didnt get to choose. My other two cats and 7 bettas are female :P

I prefer female dogs, as males seem to be more annoying to me for some reason, always doin' tha dirty on my leg and being harder to train.
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #8 
Spook

I don't know why, but I pretty much always prefer male pets! They just seem a lot more laid back, and I've never been able to bond with a girl dog or cat like I have with the boys. (: I had two female rats and a female cat, all of whom I loved dearly -- but they were all more aloof and kept more to themselves then my male pets ever did, and I'd definitely pick a male over a female if given the chance.

I have to say though, I think I love my male and female Betta equally! Though at this point I almost think I love my girls just a smidge more, because my boy's tail biting habits have me at the end of my rope! ):
Spook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 03:48 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettafish15 View Post
males seem to be more annoying to me for some reason, always doin' tha dirty on my leg and being harder to train.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #10 
Zappity

I am :P Depends on the animal, though.
For dogs, I'd pick a girl. I've only ever had one girl dog, all the others are boys. (not really like I had a choice, Mom got them b4 I was born xD)
For birds, I'd pick a boy. Girls are grumpy xD
Fish, I don't care. I've only ever had 1 girl that I'm aware of.
Zappity is offline   Reply With Quote