Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #11 
Bombalurina

Before considering a sorority, definitely up the number of neons to 6. :)

If you do want a sorority, bear in mind that it isn't a natural way for them to live. Girls in the wild don't live together, although they will commonly experience each other on their travels between males. It won't make her feel more comfortable. However, she may still be quite happy with the situation. My girls seem happier in their groups, but they have been living in groups since they were born and are pretty wierd little gals anyway. For most girls, such as yours, it isn't the norm.

If you do want to start a sorority, make sure your tank is incredibly densely planted. Because your girls wouldn't be sisters and probably wouldn't be used to being together, you really need dense decoration, all the way to the surface. Before adding your other girls, cup all the females and re-arrange the tank, then add them all back in together. Keep a close eye on them and have spare tanks on hand, just in case. Make sure you have at least 5 total, 6 being better.'

In your tank, it might not be a good idea, simply because your pleco has a pretty large bioload. Adding 5 or 6 girls to the mix may not be a good idea - at the very least, it will mean more work for you. It's also quite possible that girls won't get on with your guppies. Giving you this advice, however, does make me a dreadful hypocrite as my own tank is terribly overstocked, so I'll understand if people bulge their eyes at me reading this.

Basically, if you do want to start a sorority, I'd get a bigger tank. You could do it in your current tank, but bigger is always better. :)
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 09:06 AM   #12 
Myates

Bomba is the bomb ;)

Great info given.. honestly, she just may be stripey.. I wouldn't go the sorority route unless you are really wanting it and are ready for the commitment.. as it's something you can't do half-a.. well you know :)
It won't work if you are just wanting to give her company is what it comes down to- you have to be ready for the work and future issues.

Otherwise, up the neon count by a few and the tank is perfect for her.. she's just being a pain :) Silly girl..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #13 
birdnerd

Thanks guys, I think I'll stick with what I have, up the neon court, and add some more plants. I was also thinking of adding a clay flower pot or two as hiding places. I'm not sure I'm ready for a sorority. My husband does most of the aquarium work, he has a 38 gallon and a 120gallon cichlid tank. Mines the little 15 gallon. Thank you again for all of the advice. I really appreciate it.
birdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 
birdnerd

UPDATE: I added 4 more plants to my tank, 2 little flower pots, and 3 neon tetras. Sakana no longer has stripes! She has also stopped chasing her reflection in the glass. Thank you all again for all of your help!!! I really appreciate it.
birdnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #15 
scootshoot

Welcome. Good luck with your betta hobby. I also see you are a bird lover.

Greatest bird rescue video ever uploaded on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lvrcd...eature=related
scootshoot is offline   Reply With Quote