Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #11 
MistersMom

im buying 1 more female.... thats all. and they have been getting along.... no bullying since the 1st day....
and yes 2 males....
and i do plan on buying another 10 gal and filter here soon.... i actually found a really cheap 29 gallon tank that comes with 5 tropical fish!
if i get that...... not only will i pee my pants... but i will put my sorority in it and divide my ten gallon for my males!!! :D
if not then i'll get another 10 gallon and filter....
once taxes come in....wich is about 1 or 2 weeks!
i'll solve it all...
but thanks for the concerns, and advice.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:57 PM   #12 
styggian

Clearly they have been fighting and bullying if one has died from being bullied :/
styggian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #13 
MistersMom

...go back and read my last 2 or 3 posts please.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #14 
styggian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistersMom View Post
she was bullied a few days ago, they stopped but she had not been doing well sence...
So... you're saying here she was bullied. I did read your posts. You clearly stated the above.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:05 PM   #15 
MistersMom

ok.... that means they have stopped bullying..... she just wasnt doing well... im assuming thats why she died......may have been anything else no one knows :/
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #16 
styggian

There's a good chance that the bullying is what weakened her and stressed her out and that is why she passed away. I strongly strongly recommend not adding more females but instead separating what you have until you have a proper set up.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #17 
Myates

Sororities can easily be (and usually are in some degree) a ticking time bomb- you have to make sure everything is perfect before attempting, and even then it's still a gamble.

Seeing your tank, you really do need a lot of plants, it's pretty sparse, giving them no shelter, nor broken lines of sights for the female being chased to easily escape. I would advise to separate if possible, or buy a lot more plants (I'm talking about making it hard to see them when glancing in the tank). In the future, make sure to have everything you need before you decide to buy more bettas- as they can be addicting, but one must be able to properly home them before buying them- they are living animals that have requirements.

You know I like ya, and I know you've had troubles over the last few months.. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, just making sure you understand the consequences, which sadly, you have today. :( I'm sorry you lost your girls.

You will need a clean/new rubber band to attach the sponge to the outside of the intake portion, or even use a new panty hose to cover it up.

Are you sure she died because of the filter? As it's rare for the suction to be that strong to keep hold of a fish- normally they die elsewhere, and when sinking to the bottom get sucked up to the filter.

Make sure to do a large water change, at least 50% (if it's been a week or less after doing last water change), if it's been longer then a week since your last water change, do a 25% as soon as you can, and another 25% the next day to avoid osmotic shock.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #18 
styggian

This is my tank. It's 15 gallons with a large 30 gallon filter. I still don't feel that I have enough plants, real or fake, and will be adding many more anubias and java fern soon, as well as some extra driftwood. I've seen the photo of your tank, it really doesn't have enough cover and decorations for the fish to hide and escape aggression. The safest thing for your animals right now is separation until you can create a proper set up. I'm not trying to be mean, but you do seem very determined not to take advice from people with experience with flourishing sororities. It's expensive to do it right, but that's the price we pay for what we want.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #19 
ldoerr

On my 29g I run 2 Aquaclear filters. To prevent fish/ plants from getting stuck to the intake I use spare Aquaclear sponges with a slit cut into them so that it looks like this + in the middle. The intake tube will slip onto the sponge very easily and the sponge will not come off without pulling. Works great. You can buy the Aquaclear 70 sponges and cut them to make multiple intake covers. They are very easy to clean as well. All that you have to do is squeze it in a bucket of tank water.
ldoerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #20 
MistersMom

i completely cleaned the tank...... im letting it cycle before i do anything , im seperateing the tank so that the filter is with Mister....because he is used to it...
i'll buy more silk plants....
i can easily buy another 10 gallon....its the filters that are expensive D:
my main problem is....
i can't keep divideing the tank because the filter can only pull through so many dividers....im thinking that by the end of the month ill have another tank...
and that will be used for only my sorority.... i dont need another heater i already have 2....just filter and tank :/

im working on it guys.
i just need filter ideas...
and Myates...i know...i don't tend to think things through... *facepalm*
my weakness...
but i will solve this...