Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #11 
Laki

Another Newfie here. :) Bunch of us Canucks floating around!
Silverfang, the LPS who order "tri-color" betta.. Um, is it where I think it is? Because I think my Ludendorff might be one off that order. There were a pile of multi's in the last shipment. I don't know what they got in their shipment last Thursday though.
We have some Pet's Unlimited (PJ"s Pets), one PetSmart and some smaller non-franchised pet stores. I prefer to take my business with stores who don't sell animals for my pet supplies but I'm afraid as a poor student PetSmart offers the best prices on the things I need. One LPS "Pet City" has the best prices on my bunny's hay and a loyalty card so after every 5 bags I get a free one, same with her food.
Aside from the awful snowstorms we've been having, I love Newfoundland! I feel it is a little backwards after spending Christmas in Nova Scotia 2 years in a row, and I have no obligations to staying here once I'm done school. Wherever the job's at!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #12 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfang View Post
thankfully we have a LFS for lots of other supplies. And a pets unlim can't tell the difference between a male and a female and have no clue what a plakat is.

Oh, and a LPS that tries to order in "tri-colour" bettas
Haha thats awesome! Yeah our pet stores aren't too great. I went to the local fish store and they were WORSE than the pet store... it was pathetic
JBosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 PM   #13 
Laki

There's a fish store here. The guy who owns it sometimes gets in wild caught fish (which I do not agree with) but he is knowledgeable. He orders betta direct from Asia (I think he said Malaysia) but he sometimes houses them in tiny things. Betta and cold water fish aren't really his thing as are high priced fresh and salt water ones. He's approachable to talk to, though a tad on the conceited side. (years ago when I had my turtles, it took me a while to be served because I was only buying lights and not fish).
Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #14 
JBosley

There really needs to be more fish stores that have knowledgeable people working there or owning them. I was excited to go to the fish store, called The Tropical Fish Store, because I thought they would have some awesome Bettas and might be able to help me out. I got there and they were all like half dead, in gross water and the guy didn't know anything! Ugh
Old 02-08-2012, 09:54 PM   #15 
Pitluvs

Oh I have to add, my favorite store that doesn't sell pets (or a lot of great fish stuff) is Global Pets. I buy my cat/dog food there, my rat food as well as my Omega one fish food for my tropicals and Bettas (I feed frozen and Attison's Betta food too). They are willing to get in anything I need though, so I may switch 100%.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #16 
JBosley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
Oh I have to add, my favorite store that doesn't sell pets (or a lot of great fish stuff) is Global Pets. I buy my cat/dog food there, my rat food as well as my Omega one fish food for my tropicals and Bettas (I feed frozen and Attison's Betta food too). They are willing to get in anything I need though, so I may switch 100%.
I don't mind Global Pets! The employees are a bit rude where I am, unfortunately.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 AM   #17 
Silverfang

Your new boy probably is from one of those shipments. They come in from Singapore. I've been known to go in on a Thursday or Friday and see the dozens of baggies floating in a tank before they can be "cupped".
It's a shame they don't bother to acclimate them, it's no wonder they have such a hard time transitioning. I suspect that's why my Champagne was swimmingly challenged for about a week.

And Laki, your favorite shop has some awesome fish related stuff, namely plants. In fact... I have to call and possibly visit. A shipment of 50 RCS is headed in. SAid this morning, but never know.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 AM   #18 
Laki

Pet City floats them in the heated tanks before putting them in their cells? Wow, guys. We have a Global Pets here but it was such a hassle to get there and find no Martins food or Oxbow hay that I simply left. It was my grieving period unfortunately when my poor doggie passed so I was only interested in finding my supplies and leaving. Global Pets put such an emphasis on dogs that I probably won't shop there until I have another dog :) We have another non-pet selling store called Pet Zone. It's owned by a volunteer for the small animal rescue and founder of the local PetFinder so they have a lot of the things I need. HOwever, they're such a hassle to get to when you don't have a car!
Silverfang, call me ridiculous, but what's RCS?? :p
Old 02-09-2012, 10:52 AM   #19 
Silverfang

Red cherry shrimp. But alas they were not in the shipment =(

Uh, about where the boys are floated... it's in a gold fish tank usually >.<
I hear they have new girls, perfect excuse to get my water tested and return ANOTHER defective heater.

Edit: pet zone, is that the one by Swiss chalet? I did see something like animal planet, but never have tried it out. They stock fish supplies?

Last edited by Silverfang; 02-09-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:19 PM   #20 
JBosley

I'm hoping the Bettas they get in today are healthier than the ones I saw last time. Mind you, they were the last ones to be bough so gosh knows how long they were there... most of them were missing their tails! It was awful