Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #1 
mathkid

Exclamation Help! Something on my fish's eye - popeye?

See attached pictures-

His left eye doesn't look swollen compared to the right, but there's a white thing on it. Is this the beginning of popeye? Some other eye infection? What should I do?

Ammonia and nitrites are 0, nitrates are low. He ate well this morning (frozen daphnia) and has been very active. He is in a 5g tank with plants and I did a water change a week ago. I was planning to do another water change tonight.

I only just got him last week!!! =(

-mathkid
Attached Images

mathkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #2 
earthworm88

The second photo does show a slight enlargement of the right eye compared to the left eye but could it just be the angle? Do you notice that the eyes have changed? I asked because some betta eyes can look a little pop-out but it's normal for them. Are the eyes cloudy? See if you can take an actual photo of each eye?
earthworm88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3 
mathkid

I only just got him, so I'm not sure if this is his normal state or not. He is a delta tail, if that helps.

I changed the water yesterday morning (~70%) and now the weird white hanging-on thing is gone. However, one eye (his right, my left) looks a little cloudier than the other. It's hard to tell, though... it looks OK when you look at it straight on... but it looks cloudy at an angle. I'll attach pictures in a moment.

(I don't think he likes the camera much... I turned off flash, but I think the orange focus light scares him.)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #4 
earthworm88

I understand it's hard to know since he is new to you. Generally in my experience, the eyes (the transparent cornea) should be quite clear at all angles. So if you think the eyes look a bit cloudier than what you would normally seen, I would probably suggest putting in epsom salt treatment to see if that clears it up. In case you haven't done this treatment, I will give you the steps.

1) dissolve 1 tsp of epsom salt (unscented and uncolored) to same temp 1 gal of preconditioned water
2) add stress coat if you have any
3) mix well and put in a small QT tank
4) leave betta in there
5) repeat steps in 24 hours
6) observe for other signs of the body and also if the cloudiness is decreasing

Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #5 
mathkid

Hi earthworm88,

Thanks for the epsom salt treatment steps. I have epsom salt, stress coat, and a QT tank, so I will go ahead and do that as soon as I get home from work tonight. I should leave him there for a full 24 hours, yes? (Not just a dip?)

Here's pictures of him, very unhappy about the camera. As soon as I stopped taking pictures, he went back to normal swimming around and playing in the filter.

IMG_1641 - his right eye, looking clear from this angle
IMG_1642 - his right eye, looking cloudy
IMG_1643 - his left eye, looking clear
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM   #6 
mathkid

Ahh, it's so frustrating. =(

Sometimes it looks like there's a little bit of wispy fuzziness on his right eye. Sometimes I can't see it. Does that mean something worse??
Old 02-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #7 
mathkid

OK, there's definitely a spot of fuzziness on his right eye. I have read that this might be fungus or bacteria. I don't believe it's popeye as the eye hasn't swollen at all. D=
Old 02-09-2012, 12:33 AM   #8 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
OK, there's definitely a spot of fuzziness on his right eye. I have read that this might be fungus or bacteria. I don't believe it's popeye as the eye hasn't swollen at all. D=
I hear your frustration Cloudy eyes can be caused by bacteria and in rare cases by fungus. Since you are seeing fuzziness, we can assume it's fungus. Is he on treatment yet? Have you got aquarium salt on hand? Try PM OFL, Sakura etc for second opinion.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #9 
mathkid

Thanks for your patience, earthworm88.

I went ahead and moved him into a QT with aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal and also stress coat. Looking at the stickies in this section, it seemed like that was recommended for both fungus and popeye. He's behaving normally so far, ate dinner as usual. Here's hoping this will help... and I'll PM Sakura8 and OFL.

In the meantime, I think I will give the main tank a thorough cleaning... I don't think it really cycles anyway, with so many plants, and maybe there's something in there that caused this =(
Old 02-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #10 
earthworm88

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathkid View Post
I went ahead and moved him into a QT with aquarium salt at 1 tsp/gal and also stress coat.
Good you have AQ salt handy and already started him on treatment.

Quote:
Looking at the stickies in this section, it seemed like that was recommended for both fungus and popeye.
Technically, pop-eye is treated with ES AQ will treat cloudy eye.

Quote:
He's behaving normally so far, ate dinner as usual.
Acting normal and eating are always good signs

Quote:
In the meantime, I think I will give the main tank a thorough cleaning... I don't think it really cycles anyway, with so many plants, and maybe there's something in there that caused this =(
OFL among others is an expert on this. Hopefully your tank will cycle properly so you get to sit back and enjoy without all these worries.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers!

Tags
eye infection, popeye