Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 AM   #31 
MinaMinaMina

I wouldn't recommend a heater at all, for many reasons. Comfortable temperatures for humans will be fine for T's, generally between 70-75 degrees F (21-24 degrees C).

Also, purplemuffin, how big is she now? Still too small to pick up and check out her belly?
MinaMinaMina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #32 
Arashi Takamine

I am sorry purplemuffin but I squeaked a bit and shuddered when your molt pic showed up. As much as I love T's the only reason I haven't gotten one besides my folks not wanting me to was that...It just looks kinda..Gross. I'm sorry! Congrats on your little guy/gal starting to grow up. He may be a mexican red rump.

Edit: I meant the dead molt skin not your spider. Your spider's gorgeous...
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #33 
purplemuffin

As long as it stays room temperature. 50*f is a little low for this tarantula. If it stays in 70s or so in the house I agree to not get a heat mat, but some kind of heating may be necessary if it does get that cold. I would most likely just put it somewhat near whatever the main source of heat in the house was. Not too close, but find a place that has decent temps.

It's an aponophelma so it will be small for a long time.. :) So...same size, lol!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #34 
MinaMinaMina

I've wondered, with these itty bitty ones that are too small to pick up in order to check for fusules, could they be put into an empty glass aquarium and then examined from below? Then you could be sure of the sex. Hmmm... I wonder if that would work!
Old 02-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #35 
Aus

Weird... As I'm reading this thread, a tiny spiderling dangled off my hair in front of my left eye. I thought it was a smudge on the screen for a second..

I live in Australia. So I do keep lots of spiders. Just.. not on purpose.

This feller (a sparassid, or 'huntsman' spider) lives in my bedroom. He's great for keeping the mosquito population down:

Last edited by Aus; 02-10-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #36 
MinaMinaMina

Wow, that's beautiful!
My husband sometimes brings up moving to Austrailia, and my response is always the same- "Baby, I don't think anyone should live in a place with that many venomous and dangerous animals!" I don't know how you do it, Aus!
Old 02-10-2012, 02:20 AM   #37 
Aus

LOL, Mina. Millions of us do survive the Aussie fauna, it's really not that bad. You just learn not to go poking around under things laying in the yard without adequate skin covering (and possibly an uzi..).

Seriously though, the huntsman is not venomous at all. They can get to the size of dinner plates, but are usually shy and gentle. I kept several for pets as a child, and still love having them around the house. They're nice to pat, too, all fuzzy and velvety. :)
Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:26 AM   #38 
MinaMinaMina

Sounds like my kinda critter! Cute! But... there's probably a funnel web spider in the closet, right? *shudders and runs*
Old 02-10-2012, 11:09 AM   #39 
nicolaas

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMinaMina View Post
I wouldn't recommend a heater at all, for many reasons. Comfortable temperatures for humans will be fine for T's, generally between 70-75 degrees F (21-24 degrees C).
The coldest in summer is about 30 degrees C and a few years ago it was 60 degrees C! Will the T live in that temp.
Its 6 O'cloc at night here and the temp is 34 degrees C, I'm sweting now! It's sub tropical here. And in winter its about 16-22 degrees C.(This is w I want to get a heater).
It's very humid to day 70-90%!(but I'm hose to it)

Last edited by nicolaas; 02-10-2012 at 11:15 AM.
nicolaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 11:27 AM   #40 
purplemuffin

Are these the temps inside the house? I take it you do not have air conditioning then?

30c is fine.. 60c is incredibly hot
16c is only 60 degrees and is a little chilly but not too bad, a warm desk light near by would be enough to keep it warm.

I'm more concerned with the heat in summer. I might ask a t forum about if the species can survive that amount of heat
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote